Help, engine breaking up at 6k rpm

Hey guys I have an issue with once I hit 6k my engine pops, starts breaking up through exhaust. I'm running a 347 roller motor with the F 303cam, windor Jr heads, 1.7 comp cam roller rockers. I would imagine a 347 stroker with this cam and rocker arms should spin well over 6k easily with no issues? I'm running a 650 holley double pumper and it's not running too rich at all, plugs are burning perfectly tan. Any one have experience with the Fcam? It almost sounds like the valves might be floating at 6k which once again, with those heads and rocker arms I don't understand why they would float at that rpm. I hear of guys that spin their 347 stroker all the way to 7k. This engine is fairly new to me, I didn't build it and just bought the car last October.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet.
As for the breaking up thing, it's hard to do :rlaugh:
Seriously, could be valve springs too weak, ignition related or fuel related.
I might add unless your drag racing there's not much, if any, gain to twisting it up past 6k anyway.
JMO

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously, could be valve springs too weak, ignition related or fuel related.
The General is right. He's always right. All this. We would need to know more.

I might add unless your drag racing there's not much, if any, gain to twisting it up past 6k anyway.
Pay no attention to this Granny Shifting madman! :fuss: Charlatan!!!!!!

:jester:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Its a hydraulic roller and valve float is a real thing past 6,000 rpm unless you properly address it. If you are running the stock springs that came on the Windsor Jr heads then you need to find out what springs are on it and what their maximum lift capability is as the cam may be too much for the springs.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user