Help..Having Gasoline Problems..I think

ok....here we go.

if you are getting a raw fuel smell out of the tail pipes then you dont have a lack of fuel....you have too much fuel at idle. now a few things that could cause this are: vacuum leak, leaky fuel injector, bad mass air flow sensor. first off i do recommend bringing the car to a mechanic since it doesn't sound like you are too familiar with cars, but i will give you a few easy things you can try. take the mass air flow sensor out of the intake and clean it. DO NOT use brake clean or carb cleaner to do this. use either electrical cleaner or they do make a mass air flow sensor cleaning solution that you can buy at many auto parts stores. if that doesnt fix it you can check for a vacuum leak. you can do this one of two ways. either listen for it or spray some carb cleaner on the the intake and all the vacuum lines. let the car idle if possible and listen for a hissing noise. if you are spraying carb cleaner then spray everything down and listen for the engine to pick up idle. if it does isolate where you are spraying and look for a broken or damaged vacuum hose or bad gasket of some sort. if you find nothing then stop wasting your time and money and bring it to a qualified tech. so it can get fixed before you really hurt yourself or your car. good luck! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

ok....here we go.

if you are getting a raw fuel smell out of the tail pipes then you dont have a lack of fuel....you have too much fuel at idle. now a few things that could cause this are: vacuum leak, leaky fuel injector, bad mass air flow sensor. first off i do recommend bringing the car to a mechanic since it doesn't sound like you are too familiar with cars, but i will give you a few easy things you can try. take the mass air flow sensor out of the intake and clean it. DO NOT use brake clean or carb cleaner to do this. use either electrical cleaner or they do make a mass air flow sensor cleaning solution that you can buy at many auto parts stores. if that doesnt fix it you can check for a vacuum leak. you can do this one of two ways. either listen for it or spray some carb cleaner on the the intake and all the vacuum lines. let the car idle if possible and listen for a hissing noise. if you are spraying carb cleaner then spray everything down and listen for the engine to pick up idle. if it does isolate where you are spraying and look for a broken or damaged vacuum hose or bad gasket of some sort. if you find nothing then stop wasting your time and money and bring it to a qualified tech. so it can get fixed before you really hurt yourself or your car. good luck! :SNSign:

THANKS...ill give it a try

Hmmm...

It could be the fuel filler tube gasket. If it does not seal properly, it would account for the gas smell (it starts from the gas tank but gasoline smell moves quickly) and for the problem with having to press down on the accelerator. I'm no expert, but I've had this problem before and replacing the gasket helped.

Gas Problems

First of all you need to tell me if the check engine light is on and whether it flashes or not. I am a certified mechanic but I need you to tell me these things before I can really help you.

It could be the fuel filler tube gasket. If it does not seal properly, it would account for the gas smell (it starts from the gas tank but gasoline smell moves quickly) and for the problem with having to press down on the accelerator. I'm no expert, but I've had this problem before and replacing the gasket helped.

+1 for this :nice:

I had BOTH a rotten/cracked fuel filler neck to fuel tank grommet & fuel filler neck to quarter panel/gas filler cap O-ring.

My fuel was leaking out of the gas tank, causing a constant smell, and in addition to this the gasket between the quarter panel and fuel filler/gas cap area was rotten, allowing gasoline that SHOULD have gone thru the overflow drainage tube and exiting the vehicle but instead leaked inside of the trunk and passenger cabin.

I nipped this in the bud as soon as i found it.... I have 2 amplifiers, a power distribution block, a subwoofer, and a capacitor in my trunk.

You might try using some UV gasoline additive and a UV pen light to find any leaks you may have. They sell it at the parts houses and it is very easy to use.... much easier than fishing for a leak with your fingers.