help,I lost my key!!

97redsvtcobra

Aug 15, 2004
Does anyone know what it takes to get a new chip key programmed for my 97 cobra?It only had one when I bought it used,and now appears to be gone.Please let me know if you know what I am going to have to do.Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You can buy the chipped keys on ebay all day long for $9.95. I have two and they work great, for the 97 and newer you can get OEM Ford logoed keys for that price. Since you don't have a key to make a copy of you will be out quite a bit to have one cut for your car. Plus you will need to pay to have it programed too. That is why it is always good to have an extra key for any PATS enabled vehicle. If you have a key its only gonna cost you $20-$25 to get a second. Starting from scratch probably close to $200.:eek:

try this...

"An alternate programming method is possible and is intended to keep a customer from being stranded, and who has no access to a service facility equipped with diagnostic tools. This interactive procedure takes approximately 45 minutes to maintain the high level of theft protection provided by the system. When initializing the system using this procedure, it must be followed precisely or the system will abort and the procedure will need to be started over.

The alternate programming method operates as follows:

Insert an unprogrammed encoded key into the ignition lock and turn ignition switch to RUN. The THEFT Indicator will begin flashing.
Follow this procedure three times: After 15 minutes of flashing, the THEFT indicator will extinguish. Within five minutes after the THEFT indicator has gone out, turn the ignition switch once to OFF for a second, then back to RUN. The THEFT indicator will resume flashing for another 15 minutes.
After the third time (at 45 minutes from start), the control module will erase all stored keys and memorize the unprogrammed key as valid. This key will now start the vehicle. Additional keys can be programmed using the Spare Key Programming procedure.

-ford technical services"