Help me convince my dad that a 5.0 is a good dd.

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
Well I finally got an offer on the buick and have seriously started looking for a mustang as a DD. My dad saysthe 5.0 willget worse gas mileage than the buick lesabre 3.8. Not true considering I get 13.8 mpg not even getting on it.:nonono: What kindsof gas mileage do you guys get?I am telling him a stock geared mustang willget 22 city and 26 highway. Plus my buick is not reliable at all, i have to carry a handheld jump starter everywhere i go in caseit dies(all the time), the battery and alt.are new. Please tell him that 5.0s aregood DD, he shouldknow considering he drove ours until 2001 as a DD, and it neverbroke down on him. Let'ssee whatyou guys think!

P.s myspacebar sucks!

• Sponsors (?)

grey5.0beast said:
Well I finally got an offer on the buick and have seriously started looking for a mustang as a DD. My dad saysthe 5.0 willget worse gas mileage than the buick lesabre 3.8. Not true considering I get 13.8 mpg not even getting on it.:nonono: What kindsof gas mileage do you guys get?I am telling him a stock geared mustang willget 22 city and 26 highway. Plus my buick is not reliable at all, i have to carry a handheld jump starter everywhere i go in caseit dies(all the time), the battery and alt.are new. Please tell him that 5.0s aregood DD, he shouldknow considering he drove ours until 2001 as a DD, and it neverbroke down on him. Let'ssee whatyou guys think!

P.s myspacebar sucks!

You have some serious problems if you are only getting 13mpg in a leSaber 3.8. on another note, my parents had that car when I first got my licence 8 years ago and they have some balls man, you could really roast the front tires.

Aaron'S'tang said:
You have some serious problems if you are only getting 13mpg in a leSaber 3.8. on another note, my parents had that car when I first got my licence 8 years ago and they have some balls man, you could really roast the front tires.
Yea man i've surprised a fewppl lol.

with stock gears and a h/c/i and 190 fuel pump and 24 pounders i still got 21 mpg with my stock gears, less with the 3:55 but when she was still stick i got 25 several times, nothing on my stang has ever broke that was not my fault, daily driven for four years

i drive mine 300-400 miles a week and i get like 17-20mpg and i have driven it in the snow and everything...all is well, no major problems to speak of.

AND dd one of these is NOT going to run it into the ground....the only way you can tell i've put 40K miles on it in the 2 years i've owned it is if you look at the odometer......

-adam

If you really do drive your car in the snow and Ohio uses salt to melt the snow on the streets, wait a couple more years, look at your car again, and notice the RUST that is poking out everywhere! You can't tell me your car will stay immaculate if you drive it through the winter. I don't care HOW often you wash your car...no pun intended ;)

Didn't read all the threads but as long as the car is in good shape, why would it NOT be a good DD? :rolleyes:

I got 280 to the tank with 3.73s on my blown AOD car on a 5-hour highway trip. That's pretty damn good. Of course now it's gone down quite a bit but there are still far worse cars out there that aren't nearly as fun :nice:

My car isn't my DD but I'd love to make it. It used to be before the heavy mods came, now I'm afraid to leave it anywhere. It kinda screams "steal/**** with me" :shrug:

Any Mustang in decent shape can be a good DD. That wasn't my point though. If someones Stang is in good shape, why drive it every day? Sooner or later, you'll end up with rock chips, door dings, spilled crap inside the car, and rust if you drive in the northeast. It's not like you can go out and buy a "new" fox-body any more.

well i have a h/c/i, 5 spd, 3.55's, 24# ers, and plenty of other junk.. drive it to school everyday, drive it to work everyday.. but then again i don't get snow and salt.. and its more or less dry here.. not a hell of alot of ran

aaron11272 said:
If you really do drive your car in the snow and Ohio uses salt to melt the snow on the streets, wait a couple more years, look at your car again, and notice the RUST that is poking out everywhere! You can't tell me your car will stay immaculate if you drive it through the winter. I don't care HOW often you wash your car...no pun intended ;)

ya i know i know i agree....but i guess it wont be a dd for many more years....and i think that i probably would already have rust if it wasnt "rust inhibited" and undercoated or whatever lol...i am really just keeping my fingers crossed. i was just implying that a dd is hard to "run into the ground" if it is cared for...

I dunno how you guys get the gas mileage that some claim. Ford's own testing couldn't even get it that great and they had ever reason to wring out every MPG. (AOD cars got 18/25)

92WindowSticker.jpg

That's what a stock 5.0 was rated for. WHen my 5.0 was stock, i used to see that only when i drove it like an old lady. When i was out having fun, my mileage went WAAAAY down. Even further down with modding.

Even my new 4.6L Mustang is rated at 18 city, 26 highway. It will do this but once again only if i drive "boring".

Mustangs are hard to drive normally, and my modded Fox used to get terrible fuel milage. I think i averaged 14MPG with 3.73's. :nonono: