Help me convince my dad that a 5.0 is a good dd.

well figure.. the air silencer and mannnnyy other stock pieces basically worked against the motor.. loosing power and performance.. therefore were helping out the cars MPG by making them more efficient in power and performance

• Sponsors (?)

TheChevyEater said:
well figure.. the air silencer and mannnnyy other stock pieces basically worked against the motor.. loosing power and performance.. therefore were helping out the cars MPG by making them more efficient in power and performance

Exactly, its all about effieciency. My motor is not restricted and is being force fed air... ON the hwy my 3:73 gears make me cruise at 2,100 rpm which is just the begining of the blowers pressure but not quite... so the engine is making lots more power with less effort and therefore using less gas. (somewhat) I may not have every scientific fact right here, but I do know that some aftermarket parts really do improve efficiency and therefore gas mileage.

My 5.0 is my daily driver and you can't beat it. It is leather interior, convertible, A/C, heat, powersteering and brakes, and of course a 5-speed. Tons of fun to drive, and still pulls 22-23mpg between highway and city driving, usually around 300-320 miles per tank. Would like to do some headers, exhaust, remove a little of the smog equipment will make it more fun and up the mileage a good deal. Then again I have a different idea of what a daily driver is, the Mach 1 has kind of desensitized my needs for luxury (especially with that cam).

Mustang5L5 said:
I dunno how you guys get the gas mileage that some claim. Ford's own testing couldn't even get it that great and they had ever reason to wring out every MPG. (AOD cars got 18/25)

92WindowSticker.jpg

That's what a stock 5.0 was rated for. WHen my 5.0 was stock, i used to see that only when i drove it like an old lady. When i was out having fun, my mileage went WAAAAY down. Even further down with modding.

Even my new 4.6L Mustang is rated at 18 city, 26 highway. It will do this but once again only if i drive "boring".

Mustangs are hard to drive normally, and my modded Fox used to get terrible fuel milage. I think i averaged 14MPG with 3.73's. :nonono:

MAybe their calculators are calibrated wrong

My 5.0 was my daily driver for 15 years up until yesterday. I had no complaints. It's just time for a rest now. If I had to go back to it as a DD, I'd do it with no complaints whatsoever.

Well, except it has no AC...