Help me find out what speed im going after 4.10 install

1hot5.0

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Surprise, Arizona
Im getting my 4.10's installed this friday. I would like to know, how off will my speedometer be using the speedo gear for 2.73's? I called a speedo shop, and they said 35%, which is about 15 mph. Does this sound right?

I plan on having a speedometer reduction box made next week.

• Sponsors (?)

Gulp, I guess I am going to have to stick with traffic, and go by the chart I made.

I used this calculator http://www.slowgt.com/Calc1.htm#RPMInGear to come up with these numbers:

15 mph 1st gear= 2,000 rpm
25 mph 3rd gear= 1,400 rpm
35 mph 3rd gear= 2,000 rpm
40 mph 3rd gear= 2,217 rpm
45 mph O/D = 1,664 rpm

I used the correct gear ratios and my tire size of 225/50/16.

I think I will be ok, I just need to be careful. Thanks guys. :nice:

www.hanlonmotorsports.com has a gear ratio calculator that tells you what speedo gear you should have. It's a very easy thing to swap out - disconnect your speedo cable and plug on the tranny, undo the bolt holding that unit in and pop it out. Remove the U-clip and swap gears, replace the U-clip, pop the unit back into the tranny, rebolt, plug in the cable and junk, and you're good to go. :)

Ash

Yeah, I did the speedo gear swap. Took about 30 seconds. Saves a lot of hassle. I think the white 21 spline gear is what you get for 3.55-4.10 gears. So it will still be off some, but not that much. The white 21 spline is very very close to the actual speed of a 3.73 gear, however.

ok...with the 4.10 in and the white speedo gear that is for the 3.73, you will be one mph higher for every 10 you are going. example when going 10mph you will read 11mph. when going 40mph you will read 44mph and when going 90mph you will read 100mph. i had one of my buddies ride next to me and we had walkie talkies and said how fast we were going back and forth and it was pretty much dead on to the 1mph higher for every 10mph you are going. hope that helps.....

its funny, every car i go in thats not mine, i automatically read 1mph higher for every 10 im going. its just automatic right now and dont even think about it

hehe...we use them all the time to pick on ricers. he has an 01 cobra vert and my car is dead even with him speed wise so we get to have our fun. i got sick of not knowing my speed so i devised a way to get it down perfectly....it almost always dead on when i go by those radar signs by schools and stuff :D