Help me justify buying this mustang!

x_mustang_x

Mar 23, 2004
Whats up everyone? Right now I have an import that is turbo charged. I went and test drove a very clean 94 convt 5.0 5spd. Yes it has more torque than my car but I was not impressed at all! Are there basic things that will really free up these cars? Does anyone else think that bone stock these stangs are rather slow? All my RWD cars have been GM muscle starting back with the IROC, firebirds, trans am, and a 94 vette. I really did like this 5.0 though. I guess my question is what mods did the most for you? This board came highly recommended so I thought I would give it a try! Thanks everybody!

• Sponsors (?)

What Stang for you

Well in my opinion don't bother with 1994 to 1998 Mustangs (stock). They don't have the horsepower stock. 1987 to 1993 Mustangs run better. If you can find one cheap, try getting a 1999 or newer model and put a supercharger on it.

I had a 2000 Mustang GT with an ATI Procharger supercharger, intercooler, 3.73 gears, 42# injectors. It was dyno'ed at 420 HP. I ran a 12.17 @115 mph...probably could have done in the 11 second ranges if I ran with less gas in the thank and got things out of the trunk....my car was basically all stock except for those mods.

Hope this helps.

1st thing I did was

Gears from 3.27 to 3.73 added great torque
Exhaust From Stock to Mac Shortie Headters, MAC H-Pipe (no Cats) and MAC Cat Back

Just those alone gave the car quite a kick. total cost was about $1000.00 for all those.

If you have the money through a blower on it.. that will wake it up..

I am in the process of putting a new enginbe N/A hoping to make aroun 280 rwhp.. once I get the new motor broken in I am putting the blower I had on my stock motor on it.. not sure what I will make on the dyno.. hoping for 400+ at the rear..

Hope that helped..

The thing is I already did the forced induction thing. The 1.8L import cars need it but I dont want to do that to a 5.0L. I just wondered if things like a good cold air, x-pipe, and catback will do wonders for this car?

I think my question is being missed. I dont want a notchback fox or any 87-93. I like this car for the color and drop top. Thus I am asking if certain mods react better on this car than other mods. Thanks any way for your time.

under drive pullies seem to be a favorite bolt on for a lot of people. changing the intake manifold really helps these car breath alot better. off road h-pipes and changing gears work wonders. the cold air intake really don't help at all plus they are over priced. being that the car is a vert it quit heavy compared to the coupes so it will take more to move them. hope this helps.

H/C/I combo. Its not impressive to you bc:
A. Its stock
B. Its 10 years old
C. Its stock

That vert is gonna kill you on the track. But they will see 12s with autos pretty often. Look around stangnet...we have quite a few guys here running mid to low 12s with vert autos

I just bought my second 95 GT Conv (5 spd). The first one (auto) I hot rodded out down to the block - rear end, heads, intakes, CAI, mass flow, custom computer chip, headers, open exhaust - everything. I did it more or less in steps so I know what did the most for the money. Sounds like you want to know what's the most for the money for an everyday driver drop-top.

This is what I plan to do to this new one and think you will appreciate this advice if you follow it.

IMO............
FMS 65mm TB with electronics already on it.
Borla cat-back exhaust - DO NOT GET TO LOUD WHATEVER YOU GET! It will drive you crazy when you hit a "Drone" when cruising. Borlas are known for not having drones.
H-pipe or X-pipe without cats.
Leave all the stock intake stuff - just get a K&N filter for it - everything else is a waste that you will never notice.

These things will make the biggest difference and it's all I'm doing this time it that tells you anything. It takes way too much money to get anymore big noticeable difference. You could change the gears if wanted, that's always nice. :flag:

1. exhaust (full!!) - free up that constrictive exhaust
2. gears - 3.73s or 4.10s will really wake it up
3. intake tract - TB, MAS, Intake
4. heads/cam - this will totally change the engine, throw on lots of power depending on the setup u get

if u have an auto, invest in stall converter and shift kit. if a manual, get a new shifter, stock one is horrible, and a good clutch if the one is slipping

if u don't want to go with forced induction, i would suggest u get a good matched set of H/C/I. with a Edelbrock Performer package you can get 300 RWHP.

IMHO your best bang for the buck is to swap in some 3.73 or 4.10 gears! This will make the car seem like a whole new animal. You can make your own CAI for less than 50 bucks (with filter), underdrive pullies tune-up and timing adjustment. Get some drag radials and you should be well into the 14s with some good driving. If you want to spend some more cash and want instant results there's always nitrous or open up your exhaust with some shorty headers, free flowing x or h pipe, and a good 2.5" cat-back. If you have even more money a HCI swap can hand you some 12 sec time slips!!! Good Luck!

definitely gears! i just got the timing adjusted, was running 10* now at 12* that seemed to do a lot for my engine.

with a vert you're going to want sub-frame connectors too.

i'm finally getting happy with my car (check the sig). but of course more is coming. next HP mod will probably be new intake, next performance suspension mod will be springs/shocks/struts.

these cars are A LOT of fun to work on. one mod at a time makes you appreciate the car more and more.