Help me pick my H/C/I Combo.

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
Long story short i have a nice T-top 88 GT with a Worn out 200k mile 302. Also i have another 86 notch with a fresher 302 im wanting the short block out of that car. So while i have the motor out i figured a set of AFR 165'S,B303 cam(not looking to dump big $$ on a custom cam) and a set of some sort of rockers. And a edelbrock Intake perhaps?? This car is my DD so im not looking for a 400hp car just something to make noise and spin a tire when need be. Also need a little advice on injectors maybe 24lb?? and a maf conversion should set me up. Any once have anyadvice??

• Sponsors (?)

AFR 165s is a good head choice. I believe the stock afr springs will work with a b cam just fine. Intake, probably an eddy rpm or tfs track heat intake. You need somethin a little bigger than a regular performer or street heat for the afrs. 24lb injectors also feed mine just fine along with a promas maf sensor. Other than that, just new pushrods and do rockers if the motor doesn't have it.

Ed Curtis recommended me to use the regular Performer with my AFR 165's. He said, "It has a more useable powerband." Plus the RPM is no longer made anymore, new anyways.

Ed Curtis does very nice custom camshafts for $325. Your B cam is going to run in the $200 dollar range. So that extra, $125 will make you faster, have better idle quality, more vacuum, and keep great torque. I think it is worth it, especially if you are willing to spend the coin on some nice AFR's.

The new version of the AFR's are even better with the 1.290" diameter valve springs and 8mm valves. They are not up to .600" lift if I recall. They will handle it easily.