Help!shut off during hard throttle problem

D-SLO

Jun 22, 2004
Ohio
Hope someone can help. I have a stick shift 93 mustang that when I am under hard acceleration and I shift the car, it dies just like you turned the key off. As soon as you let your foot up it's 100% fine. it's not always between the same gear either. I think it may possibly be the computer, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Well... I'm not sure how this curcuit actually works but...

If you hold the pedal to the floor while you're cranking the car, the EEC turns the fuel injectors OFF.

It sounds to me, like that is what's happenign here. Whatever it is that tells the EEC that the car is running, it not getting the required signal. The EEC in turn, is shutting the fuel injectors down.

I'll send a link to your post to Jrichker. He's the resident wiring diagram wizard. He will likely know how that particular circuit operates and be able to help you out.

Sorry I couldn't help you more. That's just not a problem I've run into before.

The injector shut-off only applies during the cranking-strategy interval. This strategy is based upon engine RPM.

I'd pull codes. Note any IAC (dashpot) codes and VSS codes.

Good luck.

The injector shut-off only applies during the cranking-strategy interval. This strategy is based upon engine RPM.

I'd pull codes. Note any IAC (dashpot) codes and VSS codes.

Good luck.

True... my theory though, is that the malfunction is cuasing the EEC to shut em down. If it's RPM dependant then perhaps the EEC is not getting the appropriate RPM signal. That would then, be the wire to troubleshoot.

I would imagine that something in the Dizzy harness is probably FUBAR? :shrug:

thanks for the quick responses guys! Well, I've pulled codes couple times in the past but none show up. I'd like to add that I can accelerate the car untill it bounces off the rev limiter and it won't act up. It literally only does it once I shift(and only under full acceleration). Does anybody know if the TPS could effect/cause this? Cause as far as I know this is the only sensor that is effected during the shift(I always let off the throttle during shifts)?