HELP!!! STRUT TOWER BOLT SHEARED

Ok, I am utterly pissed off right now.

I was sitting in my hotel garage messing around with the car, I got a new STB, I decided to put it on. It called for blue medium locktite, I did that to the bolts. I set my torque wrench for 26 ft/lbs.

I tightened the first bolt...fine...the second bolt...seemed as if it was tightening it more than that first one, I thought maybe the STB hasnt settled all of the way...next thing you know...SNAP!!!!

I flipped a tit, and continued to do the rest of the bolts, the torque wrench did not snap over for either of the remaining bolts. I think I let the lock tite sit on them to long.

anyway, I have three bolts holding the STB on and one that is sheared off. I have the Ford Racing GT500 strut mounts....will I need to get new mounts and tear apart the suspension or is there a way to just replace the stud.

This litterally is tearing me apart...is it safe to drive the car? without damaging parts?

Thanks guys, I really would appreciate to hear your thoughts on this. :(

• Sponsors (?)

So I will have to replace the mount? Damnit...was hoping I could replace the stud.

That means I'll have to take apart the strut, meaning I will need to get an alignment.

200 dollar project easily....

should I not use loctite on them?

you can call ford racing and see if they offer a replacement stud for the mount, but i doubt it. if you can track down the manufacturer of the mount itself, then you may be able to get the single part of the assembly. that will be very challenging.

i dont personally think that loctite is needed for that application. there was none from the factory. :shrug:

thanks for the help big cat, I have been trying to contact CJPonyParts, that is wher I ordered the mounts from in the first place, maybe theyd send me new ones...but they dont answer me back.

They are only $60, so I'll have to break down and just buy some,

I am thinking I am going to replace both mounts now, because I tried loosening the other side with the loctite, and they feel like they are going to snap...its ridiculous.

Why do they use grade 2 steel on the damn mounts :rolleyes:

Are you positive you used "Medium Strength" Loctite? I have never had a bolt break from removing a nut that was sealed with medium strength Loctite and I've been using it for many years. It sounds like you may have used high-strength instead.

Yes, it was blue medium loctite, and it was when I was tightening down the nut when it broke. Brand new torque wrench as well...26 ft/lbs and it just wouldnt click...then SNAP...

I torqued the other bolts as well and they wouldnt click neither, so I stopped, put my regular stahlwilie on it and they were TIGHT!! So,

I ordered two new strut mounts, going re-do it all I guess...

Yes, it was blue medium loctite, and it was when I was tightening down the nut when it broke. Brand new torque wrench as well...26 ft/lbs and it just wouldnt click...then SNAP...

I torqued the other bolts as well and they wouldnt click neither, so I stopped, put my regular stahlwilie on it and they were TIGHT!! So,

I ordered two new strut mounts, going re-do it all I guess...

Then you have a brand new defective torque wrench. Borrow or buy a good one before you try it again. 26 ft/lbs would NOT have snapped those bolts......simply impossible. You were applying way too much torque, that is what broke the bolts. The Loctite had nothing to do with your problem. You need to work on your 'feel' for what torque you are applying.

Question. I am going to be installing a Ford Racing Strut Tower brace on my 2007 GT. I do not have a torque wrench. Is it really necessary to avoid this problem?
Should I just go to a local mechanic friend, who probably has such a wrench, and have him do it.
How did you determine that 26ft/lbs was the proper torque? I can't find that anywhere.

Question. I am going to be installing a Ford Racing Strut Tower brace on my 2007 GT. I do not have a torque wrench. Is it really necessary to avoid this problem?
Should I just go to a local mechanic friend, who probably has such a wrench, and have him do it.
How did you determine that 26ft/lbs was the proper torque? I can't find that anywhere.

click the link on my signature ;) it was my first write up, and not laid out quite as good as the rest of them, but you will get the idea.

the torque specs are listed in the service manual or sometimes with the instructions that come with the STBs.

I work on wind turbines, I use a torque wrench every day, I dont use 26 ft/lbs although, everything is over 250, but still..I have a "feel" for the wrench :) :nice:

and I got a new wrench because I don't 100 percent trust the ones at work...dumb ****s forget to zero them and they get abused quite frequently...so I figured id go that route.

I'll agree that you have a faulty torque wrench. It has happened to me in the past. Some torque wrenches, especially cheap ones (i.e. don't go to harbor freight) are notoriously inaccurate, and some aren't even close, leading to problems like this.

One other thing you mentioned.... you say that you think you let the lock-tite sit on them to long. Does this imply that you put the lock tite on the threads, and let them sit for a while before putting the nuts on? Typically you'd want to combine the pieces while it is still wet, applying to each bolt just before you are putting it on.

If you took the mount off, found the correct stud size, thread pitch, and length, got a new stud and drilled out the old one, press in the new stud. For $60 I'd just buy new mounts as apposed to doing all that work. I would check that torque wrench before using it again.
Dan