help with 98' gt sohc

athensoutkast

Jan 8, 2004
Ga
Can the ECM in a 98gt be flashed? If so do I have to buy a programmer or can a tuner such as MVperformance do it? Will I need to remove the chip that is already in it before it is flashed?

• Sponsors (?)

athensoutkast said:
Can the ECM in a 98gt be flashed? If so do I have to buy a programmer or can a tuner such as MVperformance do it? Will I need to remove the chip that is already in it before it is flashed?

the computer can be flashed, a tuner will take care of it, and yes you will need to remove the chip for the computer to be flashed.

Roush97 said:
the computer can be flashed, a tuner will take care of it, and yes you will need to remove the chip for the computer to be flashed.

Can you explain this to me. I thought it was the chip that was burned or "flashed" I'm a noob when it comes to chips so can you clear that up for me.

Thanks

Blev:

No expert here but I can tell you what I know.

The PCM holds all of the programming info to operate the engine. Most chips (except the SCT ones) cannot access all of the parameters. If "athensoutkast" has some problem that can only be resolved by reflashing the PCM, then he can have it done and re-install the chip. Or, he can have the PCM reflashed with the fix along with the tuning information held in the chip and then toss the chip away.

nyuk98gt said:
Blev:

No expert here but I can tell you what I know.

The PCM holds all of the programming info to operate the engine. Most chips (except the SCT ones) cannot access all of the parameters. If "athensoutkast" has some problem that can only be resolved by reflashing the PCM, then he can have it done and re-install the chip. Or, he can have the PCM reflashed with the fix along with the tuning information held in the chip and then toss the chip away.

Oooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Makes sense now, thanks nyuk!!

athensoutkast:

Yes, especially the MAF since your tuner can tweak the "map" (tables of values) in the PCM and/or the chip.

Good luck with the new tune. And how about posting any dyno numbers you get (I am interested to see the improvements with the PI intake). Thanks!

Chris

athensoutkast:

Sorry, I have no experience on this one, just can tell you what I have read: Pro-M MAF and AccuFab t/b seem to be pretty fine pieces to bolt onto your machine. You are going to get a ton of suggestions so be prepared.

Chris