help with disconnecting fuel lines????

tsoccer3299

Mar 21, 2004
Tacoma
well my brother and I are trying to change the fuel pump and we have gotten everything but the two fuel lines on top of the tank off. We have a quick disconnect tool but cant figure out how to get the lines off. I have a couple manuals but they say almost nothing. heres a few pics off what we have. does the tool slide into the back like i did????? any help would be appreciated, thanks
fuellines001.jpg

fuellines002.jpg

fuellines003.jpg

fuellines004.jpg

fuellines005.jpg

Attachments

• fuellines001.jpg
    fuellines001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 95
  • fuellines002.jpg
    fuellines002.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 105
  • fuellines003.jpg
    fuellines003.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 57
  • fuellines004.jpg
    fuellines004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 87
  • fuellines005.jpg
    fuellines005.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea those fuel line tools are pieces of crap! I know, because I tried using them when doing my heads/cam swap. I never could get the fuel lines off the fuel rails. I finally said fawk it and just laid the rails off to the side. TTT for ya.

Yeah like Black95GTS said. I used the plastic ones, which werent the best ones to do the job. The 2 sizes that you need are 5/16 and 5/8. But they were hard mofos to disconnect. My buddy was pushing the disconnect fitting in the line with pliers while I was pulling as hard as I could (from the wheel position) and we finally got them out. Try a small flathead screwdriver also to disengage the lines. That could work. Good luck.

I could get the tool to work on the large line, the small one was no dice...At this point , since your into it....I would use small screwdrivers to push the tabs back, and give the line a tug....you can see the tabs right in your pic....dont push the way back, you could break em...

I had better luck using the White plastic ones versus the metal one like yours...I found those to be little bastards to undo...:D

fuel_line_disconnect_tools.jpg

RIO5.0 said:
I could get the tool to work on the large line, the small one was no dice...At this point , since your into it....I would use small screwdrivers to push the tabs back, and give the line a tug....you can see the tabs right in your pic....dont push the way back, you could break em...

I had better luck using the White plastic ones versus the metal one like yours...I found those to be little bastards to undo...:D

fuel_line_disconnect_tools.jpg

The little round white plastic tools like in the right side of the pic have always worked pretty good for me. :nice:

Be sure to clean all that gunk off before you pull the pump out or that stuff will fall in your tank. :notnice:

NO SPARKS! :nono:

Use a brass rod or a wooden stick to tap the take off ring. :D

Over the years I've been on these forums, I've seen more than one post where a fire has started doing the pump upgrade.

Grady