help!!!!!

lx90

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2001
st augustine florida
hey all my car was sputtering and spitting so i took it into the shop. my guy said it was a fuel pump. i had him put in a new fuel punp and now the car wont run consistantly. i give it gas and it does nothing but clunk and sputter.
i messed with the tps and started it back up. i went about a mile and it started again. very confussed it is worse since he put the fuel pump in.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did your guy change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure regulator while he was at it? What makes him think it is a fuel issue? and not a timing or spark problem?
what exactly do you mean by spit and sputter, is it knocking? bucking? no power or does it have power but makes funny noises? how much throttle do you have to give it before theres a problem. how is the idle? Have you checked to see if your MAF is dirty?

seijirou said:
Did your guy change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure regulator while he was at it? What makes him think it is a fuel issue? and not a timing or spark problem?
what exactly do you mean by spit and sputter, is it knocking? bucking? no power or does it have power but makes funny noises? how much throttle do you have to give it before theres a problem. how is the idle? Have you checked to see if your MAF is dirty?

well i let the car sit for awile. i started it back up and it did fine for 5 min.
then when i stomp it it just wants to die. i dont know if he changed the filter.
i took the car to him and he said the fuel pump needed replaced. i dont know alot about cars. just basics. this just puzzles me

thanks

last week or so my car was spitting and sputtering. it turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. easy way to check them is to hook up a timing light, like you would be checking timing, and switch between plug wires. if the light is flickering when you hook it up to one of the wires, you have a faulty wire. just a thought. also, how are the plugs? fuel filter? egr valve and throttle body? you can check codes, but may or may not come up with anything.

help

when the guy pulled the codes he said it was lean. i have pretty new fms 9 mm wires. i havent cleaned the maf. what do i clean it with. it just seems strange that it got worse after the fuel pump change.

thanks for all the help

Ray III said:
I think you should ask whether the fuel filter was replaced. If it was clogged and he managed to get crap down the line while it was disconnected that would explain it getting worse.

common sense would tell me that he would replace it. but common sense never seems to be correct. i put the last fuel filter on it. i could probably tell if he changed it. it just sucks before it was driveable now its not

ok more info for you guys i sure am thankfull for all the help. i started the car again and it ran fine. i let it run for 5 min or so. i got in to go for a spin and nothing. when i push the gas nothing. i seems to choke down or just do nothing, could this be a bad tps. i think it is original. when i put it in gear to back up it almost stalled. could barely get enough power to make it up the bump in my driveway

thanks again for all the help