Here is a 99 Cobra I MIGHT trade for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

basically your whole post was about problems that the car had...i would walk away. i know what it feels like to get the bug for a new car, and when they say they will do a straight trade, it makes it even harder, but after you put the work into it that needs, your not any faster than you are now probably. save some money, and trade yours for a nicer cobra plus some cash. i think you will be muchhh happier.

Here is my only problem: If im going to get rid of my car, now is the time before the price of her drops over the next year / years. I can not afford to save for a cobra, and wont be able to for anther few years most likely. I realize that now i can pretty much even swap my 02 GT for a 99 cobra, so im trying to take advantage of it. I only really like the 99/01 cobras. The 98s and lower aren't as nice nor as fast and the 03s+ are too expensive.

BUT i am VERY picky, and will only settle for a black onm black cobra.

Now i know this cobra has been beat on, and needs some TLC, but i just dont want a bad clutch and worn radio dials/buttons to be the only thing keeping me from getting an otherwise nice car.

My GT needs rotors and brakes all around thsi summer as well as new tires all around too...so whether i do that on the GT or the cobra makes no difference. In fact it would be better to do on the cobra, since i was going to spend more cash to upgrade my GT to cobra brakes anyway.

I need to work out a negotiation, but i mean i would LOVE to own a cobra, and if i can get some things fixed, i just dont want to pass up an otherwise good car that has potential...

know what i mean?

but yeah im aware this car has seem some action...

UDTBadkarma said:
Here is my only problem: If im going to get rid of my car, now is the time before the price of her drops over the next year / years. I can not afford to save for a cobra, and wont be able to for anther few years most likely. I realize that now i can pretty much even swap my 02 GT for a 99 cobra, so im trying to take advantage of it. I only really like the 99/01 cobras. The 98s and lower aren't as nice nor as fast and the 03s+ are too expensive.

BUT i am VERY picky, and will only settle for a black onm black cobra.

Now i know this cobra has been beat on, and needs some TLC, but i just dont want a bad clutch and worn radio dials/buttons to be the only thing keeping me from getting an otherwise nice car.

My GT needs rotors and brakes all around thsi summer as well as new tires all around too...so whether i do that on the GT or the cobra makes no difference. In fact it would be better to do on the cobra, since i was going to spend more cash to upgrade my GT to cobra brakes anyway.

I need to work out a negotiation, but i mean i would LOVE to own a cobra, and if i can get some things fixed, i just dont want to pass up an otherwise good car that has potential...

know what i mean?

but yeah im aware this car has seem some action...
you NEED to get a compression test done on the motor.

Excellent (Selected)
$13,680
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

theres the kbb of the cobra in excellent condition. i would call it fair/poor probably.

dude that car looks rough, most of you guys know I just got my 99 3 weeks ago and (im not trying to talk crap about your possible purchase) mine looks a hell of a lot better than this black one your looking at. This one looks like it has not been taken care of and needs some attention to put it back in a respectable condition. I dont recall seeing what they were asking for it but I can tell you I paid 13 for mine and it is in tip top shape :nice: There are no body dings, scratches, chips or anything like that, the tires were new and the interior was spotless. It had all service records and there is 52000 miles on the clock. Also it was all stock other than a pair of Borla mufflers. From what I've seen on the car your looking at, there is no way I would ever consider it, you can find another cobra possibly an 01 with a good price tag. :nice:

Ok well look.

1st off, that cobra (if it had a new clutch) has GOT to be faster than my GT, there is no way my GT with my mods is anywhere near in leage with that Cobra.

Hell, there is no way i could keep up with a stock strong runnign cobra. And thsi cobra has LT headers, midipipe and catback.....with a new clutch this thing would be blowing the doors off of me and u guys know it.

Also, i originally made the post worded negatively like that so you guys would here all the down sides to the car. This way i can see if you guys would say: **** it man! still get it! or not...

I did say some nice things too..

HONESTLY, in person, you can't see as many scratches/dings in the bumper as you can in teh pictures. i thinkt he sun hit it just right, i dont know. The paint looks in GREAT condition for a 99. I didn't think the bumper looked bad at all. looked the same as my 02 GT from highway driving. You'll have that, so it didn't bother me. And the car drove real niec and was SOLID to the road.

I dunno, the more I read the post and look at the pictures the more I like it... The engine is damn clean and 45k is a great amount of miles for that year, would have expected more.

I am sure you could correct much of what is wrong. Yu should track down the previous owner and shove those rain guards over the side windows up his butt :notnice:

Kilgore Trout said:
I dunno, the more I read the post and look at the pictures the more I like it... The engine is damn clean and 45k is a great amount of miles for that year, would have expected more.

I am sure you could correct much of what is wrong. Yu should track down the previous owner and shove those rain guards over the side windows up his butt :notnice:

:lol: :lol: :nice:

UDTBadkarma said:
Ok well look.

1st off, that cobra (if it had a new clutch) has GOT to be faster than my GT, there is no way my GT with my mods is anywhere near in leage with that Cobra.

Hell, there is no way i could keep up with a stock strong runnign cobra. And thsi cobra has LT headers, midipipe and catback.....with a new clutch this thing would be blowing the doors off of me and u guys know it.

Also, i originally made the post worded negatively like that so you guys would here all the down sides to the car. This way i can see if you guys would say: **** it man! still get it! or not...

I did say some nice things too..

HONESTLY, in person, you can't see as many scratches/dings in the bumper as you can in teh pictures. i thinkt he sun hit it just right, i dont know. The paint looks in GREAT condition for a 99. I didn't think the bumper looked bad at all. looked the same as my 02 GT from highway driving. You'll have that, so it didn't bother me. And the car drove real niec and was SOLID to the road.

yea with full exhaust (if the car had the factory fix you might want to call SVT and check on that) it should be around 300 at the tires, and should feel good on the street.

Thanks kilgore. Thats what im talking about.

Basically what im saing is this:

If the car had new tires new brakes and a new clutch and only had the body damage, (which is minor, really)...it would be a great car right?

So aside from the clutch, why would i let some wear and tear parts prevent the sale of the car?

thats all im saying. I want to get as MUCh out of the trade as i can from the dealer, having him replace a LOT of the broken/damaged stuff on the car. and if he doesn't ill walk...but if he does, then i'll have a good car.

I'm not looking for a mint car, i mean **** my GT isn't mint. Its beat a little too, with highway dings and scratches. Its my daily driver, i can't be as fortunate as some of you guys to have a garage for the cobra/GT and a truck as my daily driver.

So some road damage i expect. Its just the side gash, window visor gayness and clutch that im really worried about...like i said i need to do brakes and rotors and tires on my GT this summer anyway...so

UDTBadkarma said:
Thanks kilgore. Thats what im talking about.

Basically what im saing is this:

If the car had new tires new brakes and a new clutch and only had the body damage, (which is minor, really)...it would be a great car right?

So aside from the clutch, why would i let some wear and tear parts prevent the sale of the car?

thats all im saying. I want to get as MUCh out of the trade as i can from the dealer, having him replace a LOT of the broken/damaged stuff on the car. and if he doesn't ill walk...but if he does, then i'll have a good car.

I'm not looking for a mint car, i mean **** my GT isn't mint. Its beat a little too, with highway dings and scratches. Its my daily driver, i can't be as fortunate as some of you guys to have a garage for the cobra/GT and a truck as my daily driver.

So some road damage i expect. Its just the side gash, window visor gayness and clutch that im really worried about...like i said i need to do brakes and rotors and tires on my GT this summer anyway...so

sounds to me like you have already made your mind up

Nope, actually im COMPLETELY open ended right now.

I'm totaly willing to walk away if the dealer doesn't cooperate with what i want done to the car. And if he wants my car + cash...then im GONE.

So im ready to give up on the car, but at the same time, if i cna get him to fix some things, then yeah i'll still take the car.

most everything can be taken care of with some money and some work i guess, the main things that concern me are those window shades taking up paint when you pull them off...i would say you need about 4k for a new paint job, because you do want to repaint if you pull paint up. Do you have to take off LT's on a cobra to do a clutch? getting a new head unit wouldnt be too bad, and you could recondition the leather on the seats. i just cant stand any body imperfections. i found some trash in my paint this weekend and its going back to the body shop monday.

Dan_Soprano said:
you NEED to get a compression test done on the motor.

why do i NEED to do a compression test on the car? I can go buy a tester for like $30 at the store this week...but im not 100% sure the dealer would let me pull the fuel pump fuse and pull some spark plugs and run a compression test in his driveway LOL.

I can talk to him about letting me BORROW the car...but i've never heard of that being done...so i dont think that can happen.

Why do you think i need to compression check it? The engine seemed to run fine to me...minus the very annoying buzzing comign from that crappy dynomax cat-back

imblown-ru said:
most everything can be taken care of with some money and some work i guess, the main things that concern me are those window shades taking up paint when you pull them off...i would say you need about 4k for a new paint job, because you do want to repaint if you pull paint up. Do you have to take off LT's on a cobra to do a clutch? getting a new head unit wouldnt be too bad, and you could recondition the leather on the seats. i just cant stand any body imperfections. i found some trash in my paint this weekend and its going back to the body shop monday.

Ok i think some of you are just being unreasonable now :rlaugh:

$4k for a new paint job to take those window visors off? 1st off, some heat will take those things right off...now if the paint is gluey or screwed, then yeah i will need to replace them...but those are molding peices i could get new ones and have them painted for like $200 IF THAT. Where'd you get $4k from? I sure as hell wouldnt' repaint the whole car...

I dont like body imperfections either...but this cobra hs the SAME ones my GT has atm. I even have the rear fender well gash (mines touched up better) as well as rock chipped bumper...so this doesn't have body imperfections that im not ok with.

UDTBadkarma said:
Ok i think some of you are just being unreasonable now :rlaugh:

$4k for a new paint job to take those window visors off? 1st off, some heat will take those things right off...now if the paint is gluey or screwed, then yeah i will need to replace them...but those are molding peices i could get new ones and have them painted for like $200 IF THAT. Where'd you get $4k from? I sure as hell wouldnt' repaint the whole car...

I dont like body imperfections either...but this cobra hs the SAME ones my GT has atm. I even have the rear fender well gash (mines touched up better) as well as rock chipped bumper...so this doesn't have body imperfections that im not ok with.

im not being unreasonable. if you rip a bunch of paint off of those panels, you COULD replace them and then have two brand new painted trim pieces with a otherwise poor body, but i would want all the problems with the body fixed. i personally would tell the dealer i want them off when i pick the car up

Status
Not open for further replies.