HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPP!!!!

li'l Notch

Jul 6, 2006
whats up guys. i just got my 88 notchback and it has flowmasters. with pro dumps and i dont like them. what exhaust do u guys recomend. i want to sound as closest to a cobra, i know im never going to sound like a cobra but. as close as i can get. thenks for the help.........:SNSign: RULES

• Sponsors (?)

What cobra?

Look, that not exactly a good goal.. imo.

The cobra, be is stock.. is gonna have stock exhaust on it.

If it was a modded cobra... well then u need its mods.

Also remember, heads, intake, and cam can change the sound of a car A LOT, regaurdless of the exhaust set up.

Oh, the cobra HCI is completly different than a stock 5.0l gt. So, meh. its all a mute point.

From my experience... Flowmasters dumped sound like garbage.. i ran that set-up for a year and finally decided to buy tailpipes.. WOW, its 100% better now.. i can't believe I wasted my time with dumps in the first place.

So, in my honest opinion.. put some tailpipes on there... you will be surprised.

Btw.. this is really tech.

You could stick with the dumps and just switch mufflers. I had Flowmasters with my X-pipe, shortie headers, and full tail pipes. I needed to save room in the back so I switched to dumps, but I went with a new set of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. Right now the exhaust is much less annoying than it was.

So basically Flowmasters and full pipes were louder and more annoying than Super Turbos and dumps. The tone is much deeper, much better sounding, but that annoying drone is gone.

Get a set of Super Turbo mufflers from Jegs, they are only like $40 a peice. You should be much happier.

When I got my 88 it had pro dumps on it with shorty headers and an OR H pipe. When I put LTs on it the car was much quieter than before. If you REALLY want to quiet it down then put the tails back on it. It will make a big difference.

I'll second the mac suggestion. I went from 2 chamber flows with turndowns, to the same mufflers with 2 1/2" tailpipes, to a mac exhaust system with 3 1/2" tips. sounds mean as hell.

I would suggest bassani. I am really impressed with their fit and finish and I love their sound. Dynomax also sounds really good IMO. I don't like my flows at all. Though I have the tailpipes the drone just kills me on the freeway. I am not a huge fan of the 4.6 4v sound at lower RPMs. To me they sound like their mufflers are filled with water. Pay close attension next time you hear one idling.
Kevin