high volume oil pump question

doorvip

Sep 11, 2009
I just got a 306 short block, 0 miles. this has gt-40 heads and a B cam, can I run a high volume oil pump with a stock pan?? or should I just use the new oil pump that came with the re man from ford?

• Sponsors (?)

There are purposes of running a high volume pump. It will drag more horsepower from the engine to run it. You may need HV for racing purposes or if your bearings are getting worn and bleeding pressure. Your engine builder (assuming you have one) would know best.

I switched to a high volume pump after having pressure issues with the old one. Since, oil pressure has been rock-solid at all RPMs. Fitment wasn't an issue because both old and new pumps were Melling and form factor was the same. I'm running the stock oil pan. YMMV

the Melling is the pump I wAS thinking of going with. its a fresh reman so there are no bearing issues, I just thought why not do it now if it was a good idea. the engine would need to be pulled again later to change it.

I would go with a standard oil pump. I have a Melling hv in the 302 I built in 00, and with decent clearances, it pegs the stock gage when cold, and when hot, it is still 3/4 the way up the scale. I actually quit running 10w40 and went to 10w30 to lower this. This is with Motorcraft semisythetic oil.

I put a standard pump in a sbc cheapo rebuild I did last year, checked the clearances with plastigage and Bud Light Lime, and it still has 60 psi down the road and 30 at idle, hot, with the cheapest parts store 10w30 you can get.