Hissing sound when brake pressed

str8stang036

Dec 28, 2002
Miami
I have noticed that when the car is running and I press the brake pedal I hear a hissing sound, as if it were a vacuum leak. It only happens when the brake is pressed. I have isolated the sound to the vacuum line that connects at the brake pedal. What is that vacuum fitting down there for?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it loud enough for me to hear over open headers and the door wide open. I have noticed the rpm's shift a little when I press the brake. I guess I will have to change the hose to make sure, it's still the stock hose.

The circular fitting in the brake booster entrance hole is a check valve. The procedure goes as follows. Hose for the vacuum comes from the intake with vacuum tree, the brake booster has a rubber diaphram that is pulled foward from the vacuum, when you put your foot on the pedal and press the added vacuum pulling on the diaphram towards the front of the car makes is easier for you to press the pedal down, the check valve prevents all the vacuum from pushing back into the intake. A hissing sound comes from a vacuum hose OR a diaphram leak. I have seen the diaphram go bad on boosters before (not a mustang though) and I have seen the check valve go bad as well. To test the check valve, pull the hose off and pull it from the booster. It should be in there tight. You should be able to suck air from the front using your mouth, but not get anything to pass through when blowing. Vice-versa from the rear of the valve. You can also usually here a bad booster better from inside the car under the dash, as the leak is coming through the booster. Other than these items, somewhere else you could have a hose leaking and when the system is under the gun from the booster being used, it manifest.