Homemade Rear Seat delete pics

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
I finally got around to making some seat deletes. I sold my seats because of the cage and the weight.

Found out some interesting things. When i shipped out my seats they weighed around 36.5 lbs for the back and 18.5 lbs for the bottom cushion. Thats 55lbs. With the 3/8 plywood i used it weighed around 13.5lbs after being carpeted. Thats a weight savings of 41.5 lbs..

Im curious how places like MMR and others say they can save you up too 55lbs.. I dont think the stuff they use weighs absolutly nothing. They must be talking about taking out the seatbelts and other things too?

Heres the kicker... cost me a whopping 23.50 and i still have a half sheet of plywood left. so I can cut 7.50 of that off if i can find a place to use that half sheet making my total 16 bucks.

SO WHY are people paying 75-100 bucks for these things + shipping? If anybody's interested i have a half sheet left of plywood and can throw you together one for really cheap. I dont think i have a place to use it. And now that i have a pattern it will take me like 15 min to make one (10 of that carpetting them).

The hardest part of this whole prodject was getting the template made out of cardboard.

Mine are really generic but work out well for my needs. It wouldn't take much to make them fancy with either plexyglass or carpeted flames or mustang logo or a number of other things.

I carpetted both sides on the back plate and only the top on the bottom plate.

Anyways heres the pictures. (That camera flash really showed me what i need to clean up, including the cage :bang: )

seats 001.jpg

seats 002.jpg

seats 003.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks good.

Some folks pay money because they dont want to do it, they want custom stuff sewn onto it, they want to add hinges and stuff, etc. Just like anything else, some folks are better at some things than others.

You really cranked that thing out fast - I spent several hours on mine. Enjoy.

I spent about 2 days on mine.
I have underseat storage and subs. The hardest part WAS geting the template, the back paert wasnt that hard cause i did it from inside the trunk, but the seat part was a pain.
I love underseat storage.
I did a good job hiding the hinge, you can see the fold in the carpet but you can see the hinge.
View attachment 469029

I actually spent like $60 on mine. I got a HUGE piece of plywood. (4x8) and I got reamed for the carpet, but they were the only place that had black so I had no choice.

I've seen the MMR kit, it is really cheap flexible material. I wouldn't even set a book on it. Plus the bottom piece doesn't run parrallel to the ground, it rises up a little bit to the back piece. I'm assuming this is to save them some material.

I've made 3 kits so far, very easy. I went to some construcion sites and got a piece of thick plywood from the dumpster. Then bought a thin piece of plywood at the hardware store 2'x4' for ~$4.50. I crammed a bunch of insulation around the back sides and on the bottom piece to make the interior a little quieter.

I bought a 4'x8' piece of black fabric from a fabric store for $8. Then I used some spray adhesive and a staple gun to hold it on.

I'll post pics later tonight.

MMR is making a killing on their piece.

MysticKeith50 said:
Wow moneypit, I really like that......I want to do my rear too. What exactly did you use....and what did you use for a template.:nice: I want to get one of those nice rollcages too:D
I dont know about him, but I jsut measured the rough sizes I would need, then tried to put them in and marked off what I needed to cut. Get in the trunk for the back part, and use cardboard for the seats. Its not really hard at all.

MysticKeith50 said:
Wow moneypit, I really like that......I want to do my rear too. What exactly did you use....and what did you use for a template.:nice: I want to get one of those nice rollcages too:D
I just used a peice of cardboard. Started off getting the largest demensions for the two pieces. Cut them out square. And then just marked and trimmed till it fit in there well.

I used a piece of paper for the rounded corners and trimmed that (much easier cutting and messing with then cardboard) till it fit in there nice and used it as a second template for the cardboard. After i had cardboard peices that fit in there nicely i then traced them on to the plywood (fixing little mistakes or gaps here).

Then i just got some sub box carpet from the local car audio place for 3.50 a yard and a 1.50 can of spray adhesive. Carpetting will probably be the hardest part if you dont have any experience with it. Just take your time and don't cut too much.

Kind of helps i work everyonce in awhile for a friend that owns a stereo shop, this kind of procedure is used all the time in making clean installs for stereo equipment.

For those not wanting to do the template (the biggest PITA part to me) I think there's a guy on ebay selling templates (I might be thinking of fox templates but I dont think so).

Crystalworks has some nice lookin RSD's and the dude (I think his name was Joseph) was cool to chat with in emails. Were I going to buy, I would have bought from him.

The Green GT, hey man do you have any pics from the inside of the trunk, in other words how you enclosed the rear of it for the speakers, if so what kind of airspace did you wind up with? Also, do you have the mach 460 in your car??? if so how did all that work out?

I have the basic template, top and bottom done, but i am debating on how i am gonna enclose the back side for my 12's, good thing is i only need 1 cubic foot of airspace...

thanks

Jason

mytight95 said:
The Green GT, hey man do you have any pics from the inside of the trunk, in other words how you enclosed the rear of it for the speakers, if so what kind of airspace did you wind up with? Also, do you have the mach 460 in your car??? if so how did all that work out?

I have the basic template, top and bottom done, but i am debating on how i am gonna enclose the back side for my 12's, good thing is i only need 1 cubic foot of airspace...

thanks

Jason
They arent seald yet. I was going to do a box, but I couldnt get it to work right. I may add one later. And no I dont ahve the Mach but i do have the premium audi system cause there is a factory amp. It sounds good for what I listen to, but when I turn it up it distorts the other speakers when it hits.