Hood Pins Placement

Ok I got some hood pins and it says to install them on the radiator support beam??? can someone shed some light please are they talking about in front of the radiator where the hood latch is assembeled , :shrug: because if so that is where the front of my hood is and it is where the curve start's so the piece on top of the hood will not be flush. If some one has installed these pleases help me out :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The way I did it and the way I think alot of people do it, is to install them in the holes that the front hood bumpers are at....the rubber bumpers with the screw threads under them that are used for raising the height of the hood.
Here's how I did it:
Just remove the bumpers and install the pins in the holes. The holes are square but the pins will go through them and even allow a little adjustability from side to side and up and down. Measure from the tip of the pin to the edge of the fender, and from the tip of the pin to the plastic above the headlights on both sides and adjust the pins from side to side and front to rear till' they match up on both sides. Remember the old saying while you do this project "measure twice, cut once".
Once the pins are even on both sides, I took a paint pen and dabbed some paint on the very tips of the pins and then let the hood down to touch the pins. You should have two nice little dots on the underside of the hood now. You can measure from the dots to the edge of the hood if you want, but they're not going to be perfectly even. They will look even to the naked eye, but the tape may say they're a tad off. Once you are satisfied with the location, put some masking tape on the top of the hood, where the hole will be so the paint doesn't want to chip when the drill goes through. Then get a drill and drill the holes. You may want to start with a smaller bit and work up. Do this until you can lower the hood down and they clear the holes, then carefully remove the tape.
At this point, you may want to experiment with different heights with the pins till' the holes in the pins are where you want them to be and are even. You don't want the pins to be tight onto the scuff plates, they will scratch them that way. Then close the hood, place the scuff plates where the pins are centered in the plates' holes, and mark the four mounting holes onto the hood with a pen. Then take a small drill bit and drill them out and mount the plates with the screws.
I think that was all there was to it. Hope this helps and good luck with it! :nice:
front.jpg

It's an ABCExclusive 4" cowl hood. It fit better than a previous Cervini's hood I had and was much cheaper. Very nice quality and fit. I know Cervini's is good, but the one I had didn't fit all that well. I had to shave it in a couple of places to get it to lay right. This ABC hood fit perfectly.

I just got the old cheapie Mr. Gasket $8 pins from autozone. I know there are way better ones out there in stainless steel and all, but for $8 I can just go buy more when these get rusty. I've had them for about two years now and they only have a little rust on the hairpin parts. The actual pins and scuff plates don't have any rust on them. The cables I made from parts at Lowes. I got some vinyl covered cable and some cable crimpers and made them. They worked out nicely and were very cheap to make.