Hood Vents

jdblown03

Apr 14, 2004
Whould ther be any benefit at all to removing hood insulation and pulling out back of vents to get more air in? Or the direction of the airflow would'nt help?Also fixing to do first oil change and I keep hearing not to go synthetic on 1st oil change. Any advice on either would be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

I read the same about the synthetic. I believe the article said that the synthetic would prevent everything from breaking in and seating correctly. They recommended starting synthetic around the 6000 to 10000 mile mark. I hope I'm getting that right. It was an article from Automobile Mag. or Car and Driver... can't remember, few years ago.

Your cars engine is "seated" within the first 500 miles. Switch to a full syn anytime after that. Here is a GREAT POST from the SVTPerformance.com forums by a Cobra owner who is also a Tribologist (Oil Expert). He knows his stuff when it comes to oils!
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14856
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79898

As for removing your hood insulation... not much gained there. You might not like the results... most terminators are NOT PAINTED on the bottom side of the hood. I do suggest you perform the "Postban" hood mod. This mod opens up the vents in the hood extractors to allow for more heat to escape.

None of the aforementioned mods will increase HP.

U.M.

P.S. For all of you posting about engine break-in before going to synthetics... what about those cars (Z06) that come with a synthetic oil fill from the factory? I wonder how their engines EVER break in correctly....

If you take the blanket off you'll see that Ford didn't paint the entire underside of the hood. I have also heard of people having their paint discolor around the vent opening due to the additional heat being released.

jdblown03 said:
Thanks for advice on oil, "postban", do you meaan just cut out small back section of plastic?

You can cut the plastic rain flaps off completely and remove them if you want. You can cut just the tabs on the front side of the rain flaps and then fold them back up and under the hood blanket. Do a search for "Postban Hood Mod" over on SVTPerformance.com.

U.M.

My hood blanket has been off for a few weeks now, even after a trip to alabama and chicago.... lots of street cruizing... no mess, no cracks in the paint, no signs of anything negative... I can't say how much it helps.. but it has to cool things down at least a little bit - makes me feel better anyhow and thats what counts :scratch:
:)

My hood is painted too... maybe because it is a white care, nonetheless, it is finished in white :dunno: