Hooker Headers Installed and Question

EH819

Nov 6, 2003
Friends and myself installed Hooker Headers and the matching O/R X on my GT yesterday. The car is now pretty loud. It sounds great, very aggressive :nice:. I snapped pics from the install, these are the pics that came out best, the others were very blurry.

http://www.sdkcg.com/carpix/mustang_gt/page.php?txtpage=012404_1.php

The one problem that I am having now is that the sterring is notchy. I think its from the steering shaft hitting into the drivers side header. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this with out removing the header again? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I dropped the K Member. The drivers side header comes in 2 pieces, so it lets you thread the steering shaft through it. I'm not sure of the exact part of the shaft that is hitting. I'm going to try and look at the car later and see.

EH819 said:
I dropped the K Member. The drivers side header comes in 2 pieces, so it lets you thread the sterring shaft through it. I'm not sure of the exact part of the shaft that is hitting. I'm going to try and look at hte car later and see.

hopefully it will be hitting on the bottom , if it is , try making a spacer under the motor mount to lift the engine slightly for clearance

I have Jet hot L/T which are almost identical to the Hookers and I slight problem with the knuckle on the steering shaft but only when I made really sharp turns. What you might want to do is see if you can fit a couple washers in the engine mounts to lift it up about an 1/8-1/4 of an inch and that should solve it. If that dosent work you can dry dimpling the pipe around the problem area.

Did you use stop exhaust cement around the slip fit connection?? If not you might want to try and put some because that area is prone to exhaust leaks.

2kyellowgt said:
Did you use stop exhaust cement around the slip fit connection?? If not you might want to try and put some because that area is prone to exhaust leaks.

Yes I put a generous amount around the slip fit. So far, I am having no leaking issues, just this steering shaft problem.

mrvax said:
What are you planning to do when it comes time for an emissions inspection?

My car is registered in an area of Virginia that has no emissions testing and if for some reason the car ever does need an emissions test, I will swap in a catted mid pipe.

mrvax said:
BTW: Looks good!

EH819 said:
It seems to be hitting the bottom part of the header tube that goes to the forward most exhaust port.

well if its hitting on the bottom , try finding something to make a spacer , and jack the engine up on that side and put the spacer between the engine mount and the k member , hopefully that will take care of it , i would try to fine a piece of scrap metal about 3/16 of an inch in thickness and cut a square pad with a hole in it for the motor mount stud .

Good luck I didn't have that prob with my Jet Hots. My set up is the same as yours (ceramic coated LT's, and O/R X). I think all you can do is put spacers / washers under the motor mounts as suggested above to solve the problem w/ or w/o pulling a header out. I have a leaky slip fit section instead :bang:

I have a regular magnaflow catback, and was considering adding the magnapacks. Do you think yours is too loud ? See my sig for how mine sounds :nice:

68 & 00 GT said:
Good luck I didn't have that prob with my Jet Hots. My set up is the same as yours (ceramic coated LT's, and O/R X). I think all you can do is put spacers / washers under the motor mounts as suggested above to solve the problem w/ or w/o pulling a header out. I have a leaky slip fit section instead :bang:

I have a regular magnaflow catback, and was considering adding the magnapacks. Do you think yours is too loud ? See my sig for how mine sounds :nice:

Thanks for the good luck :) . I hope a leak doesn't develop on my car.

My car is definitely loud. I don't think it is too loud, but I was trying to make the car very loud. Some people may think it is a bit much. At about 3000 rpms and up, the car gets really mean and nasty and just screams. I think your car sounds sweet, but its not as loud as mine. I'm going to try and get a sound clip of the car in the next few days, as long as it doesn't snow too much :bang: . I will post the clip here, so you can hear if you like how loud my car is.

SliverStang said:
I have the same headers on my car.. When your car is at like 3k or around rpm's can you hear a loud ticking noise?

I don't think so, but I'm not too sure. Cause of the steering issue, I have only driven the car twice since the headers have been put in and since it has started to snow here, I'm not to sure when I will be able to drive it again. I will post here when I drive it again and let you know if it ticks.