Horsepower

sixty7stang

Jan 17, 2013
Hey guys on my last thread I was talking about how to make my mustang faster. Now I'm asking about simply adding more horsepower in general and how much horsepower and torque the stock chassis and suspension can take. I have a 67 Mustang Coupe with a 351 Windsor and a 3 Speed automatic transmission. 3:08 rear end ratio, already have a performance cam, and I have stock exhaust manifold. Any suggestions on adding a bit of extra horsepower? Also, is my chassis going to be able to take a lot more? Any questions on something I left out just ask. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

A "performance" cam is very undiscriptive. Do you have the cam numbers available? Such as Lift/Duration/Duration @ .050/Lobe Separation. Is it hydrolic,hydrolic roller, solid, solid roller? Obviously, right now your choke point is the stock exhaust manifolds and this will likely be the easiest place for you to find a couple horses. What kind of ignition are you running? Points? Electronic such as MSD or Mallory? Could be some power gaines there as well. As we discussed in the other thread, changing the rear gears to a lower ratio (bigger number) is the number one thing that will make your care "FEEL" more powerfull. I stress "feel" because of course it would not add power to the engine. It just makes it easier for the engine to transfer that power to the rear wheels.

without knowing the cam specs, it is a bit difficult to point you in the right direction. however more efficient heads and exhaust, including headers, are always good to a point. you can go into overkill by going too big for your combination.

as for the chassis, start with subframe connectors to tighten things up and stiffen the chassis. next upgrade the suspension by installing better springs and traction bars, along with decent tires.

Reactions: 1 user
without knowing the cam specs, it is a bit difficult to point you in the right direction. however more efficient heads and exhaust, including headers, are always good to a point. you can go into overkill by going too big for your combination.

as for the chassis, start with subframe connectors to tighten things up and stiffen the chassis. next upgrade the suspension by installing better springs and traction bars, along with decent tires.

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about traction bars but I didn't think about subframe connectors or better springs yet. I just got brand new BF Goodrich Radial tires all around.

Hi,
Unless you're not experiencing wheel hop now, I would channel the money into a good set of alum. heads with good valve train components and headers. The heads alone will save you approximately 40-50 lbs. on the front end. I've always like Tri-Ys for a street warrior as they help make torque and torque is what your "butt-O-meter" feels. Later, after you recover from this financial tryst, then go for a "known" cam with attitude.
Just my way of thinking your project through a quagmire of ideas.

Any chance you can get the specs on the cam that you do have? That would help a lot.
A fast car, and a quick car, share a few different things, over a regular production grocery getter. Most of them have been covered already.

Budget? Goals? How fast do you honestly want to go?

I would start with parts you can keep later on with better heads like headers, 2.5" dual exhaust with a crossover, and a good intake manifold. The suspension also probably needs a fair bit of attention after 46 years.

Well guys my dad got me an Edelbrock performance intake as a gift so i'm good in that perspective!! Also, yea i really need disc brakes, but after that, i plan on doing some suspension upgrades