How can I tell what rear-end is in the car?

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I have a stock 1994 GT Convertible 5 spd, but I am not sure what ratio rear-end I have. Are they 2.73's, 3.08's, or 3.27's? I've heard different things. :shrug: I searched for threads about this but couldn't find any, so I figured I would post a new one.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm wanting to say you have the 3.08's in your car. There was a big discustion about this a few weeks ago. My car had a tag attacked to the differential cover by one of the bolts that said what gear ratio my car had.

If you know for a fact that it's never been touched, you can use the axle code from the sticker on the driver side pillar. Or the tag on the differential cover. Or if you want to be positive you know what it is, jack up the car and measure the number of driveshaft turns relative to one full rotation of the wheel.

Dave

To follow up what HairyCanary said, the door jamb sticker will have a section that says AX. The letter stamped in that box will tell you what it was equipped with from the factory. His 3rd method is the best way to know for sure w/o having to open the cover.
M=2.73
E=3.27
Z=3.08