How do I adjust the rear drums?

92Frankenstein

Apr 25, 2004
Minnesota
The title says it all, when i use my ebrake my drums barely stop the car, do they need to be adjusted or does something need to be replaced? I know nothing about drums or how they work, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You can adjust them by driving in reverse then applying the brakes. This causes a mechanism to turn the adjusters.

If several tries don't do it, then your adjusters need replacing and/or they're so out of adjustment that you need to adjust them manually.

You can turn the adjusters by inserting a screwdriver blade through a slot in the back plate of the brakes (some slots have a rubber plug you need to remove), and turning the adjuster wheel until the brakes just barely start to drag as you rotate the drum.

Umm it could also be the that the ebrake needs adjusted...but thats only if your drums are working well with normal driving. I think most ebrakes need adjusting every so many years.

85GTKid said:
Umm it could also be the that the ebrake needs adjusted...but thats only if your drums are working well with normal driving. I think most ebrakes need adjusting every so many years.

In a 92 the parking brake is not adjustable.

I'm a little more concerned with using it to try and stop the car though. ???

The self adjusters work when you step on the brakes while the car is going backwards. Backing up going around the block while applying the brakes on and off will adjust them. If this doesn't adjust them, pull the rear drums off and check for worn out linings and frozen self adjusters.

92Frankenstein said:
Haha, no, one day i was waiting for my girlfriend to get off of work and I was playing with the E-brake and it didnt catch the car worth ****, and i feel it should have done a little better..

Were you trying to hold the car on a hill facing up, in other words, the car wanted to roll backwards? Because of the way they (edit: the e-brakes) are designed they won't hold as well in "reverse".

First off, thank you, I will try adjusting them today when I do my shocks, and I will let you know.

Secondly, whats with telling me to get rid of the confederate flag? I get a bit annoyed by the typical people of society that feel that the flag is racist and degrading. Well, I come from Missouri and I am very proud of my heritage thus I wear the confederate flag. Now before you start bashing and telling me I supposrt slavery yadda yadda yadda, research a bit, Missouri was not even technically part of the confederate army(They didnt even support slavery), they tried and failed, but were still recognized by the confederate army. They didnt fight the north for slavery, they faught because of the industrialization of the north, most people were very poor and worked in the fields themselves, or owned small shops, and the north was deleting these jobs with a thing called Mass Production. I apoligize if I offend you, but no, I will NOT remove my confederate flag

Thanks to all once again, will let you know how it goes ASAP

I too took history and though they say the civil war was over slavery, it was more akin to industrialization of the north and the affects that had on the south. Besides that it still symbolizes a dark period in which slave owning states tried to seceed from the US because of unfair trading practices, and the flag is also still used to this day as a symbol for neo-nazis and the KKK. For that I can't support it for the same reason I can't sympathize with the Malcolm X symbol. I'm not saying your racist or whatever, just saying what the flag symbolizes for a lot of people and that its history is tied into a dark period in our country. So I don't understand why anyone would support it since its a battle flag used when fighting the North which was just using the same Industrialization that the country thrives off of to this day.

I see that unlike most people you actually do have respectable knowledge on the confederate army, I however disagree with its exact symbolisim with you, and I apoligize for our different views... I am sure we could go on for days arguing back and forth. I am sorry for anyone that is offended, but look at it from my point of view, it means many things, and to me, it means something that most dont see... Hope there are no hard feelings.

Thank you.

Yes, my mustang was mass produced, thus meaning I MUST remove the confederate flag....haha... I never said I had it out for mass production, But I think that defeating all the small shops and so on for large mass production is wrong in some cases.

For the sake of this being a mustang forum and I am here for help with my car and so on, i would appreciate it that if you have a problem that you could private message me or IM me on AIM with something that is way off topic of cars. Once again, I dont want any hard feelings...

Thanks

Here's how.

I just did this last weekend.

1. Chock the front wheels.
2. Jack up the rear.
3. Take off your rear wheels.
4. Remove the drum from the axel.
5. With a screwdriver push the little circular pin at the bottom of the brake assembly forward, and keep checking to make sure when the drum starts to drag.

6. When it starts to drag, with the screwdriver, pull back on the little clip to the left of that small circle on the bottom of the rear brake, and back it off a few turns with your fingers.

7. Put your drums back on.
8. Check the E brake, make sure it stops your wheels after your tighten the csmall circle.

9.Put your wheels back on.
10. Check the E brake on an incline.

The small circle turns a dowel, that manually widens or shortens the amount of space between the rear shoes.

It might be advisable to get new Brake shoes, or even new drums.

Hope this helps some.

It sure did solve my problem.

|
|
|

O.T. I thought this was interesting...

1861- Civil War of the United States begins. Minnesota volunteers one thousand men for service in the Union Army. Minnesota eventually provides 24,000 men for service in the Union Army for fighting in the Civil War or the Indian Outbreak.

Didn't know that... :shrug:

Alright, I think that will do it. Is there a good replacement drum? certain brand? I was looking for a quick fix because I am putting a whole new rear end from drum to drum, But it wont be for a little bit, so if I can pick up new drums for cheap, I may just do that...