How do I prime the motor

• Sponsors (?)

You pull out the distributor and use a drill going counter clockwise to turn the oil pump shaft. I use an old dist shaft, they also sell priming tools.

If you do not have one of those, use a 1/4" socket on a long extention. Make sure you TAPE the socket and extention together so you do not drop it in the MOTOR! You'll feel the drill kick in when it starts making pressure. I like to pull the valve covers to make sure oil is getting up to all the rockers.

Prime it one, then by hand turn the motor over 90 degrees and prime it some more. Put it back on TDC and stab the dist back in, set timing and your all set.

Rick 91GT said:
You pull out the distributor and use a drill going counter clockwise to turn the oil pump shaft. I use an old dist shaft, they also sell priming tools.

If you do not have one of those, use a 1/2" scoket on a long extention. Make sure you TAPE the socket and extention together so you do not drop it in the MOTOR! You'll feel the drill kick in when it starts making pressure. I like to pull the valve covers to make sure oil is getting up to all the rockers.

Prime it one, then by hand turn the motor over 90 degrees and prime it some more. Put it back on TDC and stab the dist back in, set timing and your all set.
couldnt have said it better myself!!:nice:

Awesome response, thanks...I have one more question now.

Im still learning how to do timing and all that.

How do I determine when Im at TDC and how to I set timing, I already have the whiteout mark, you shine the gun down, pull that cap, but how do you know how many degrees you are at

There are quite a few ways to Determine TDC:

The way I do it with the cylinder heads installed:

1) Remove all of the spark plugs (make's it easier to rotate the motor)
2) Have a friend hold a finger in the #1 spark plug hole
3) Rotote the engine by hand until your friend feels air trying to push his finger out of the plug hole.

Once the air stops pushing you have reached TDC on cylinder #1. Take your distributor and line the rotor up with the #1 terminal on the cap (line on the distributor housing will work) and drop it in. You will have to get the gears to mesh so it will take a little work.

*Note: If your friends finger reports sucktion than cylinder #1 is on the power (?) stroke and you will have to start all over... I was always told to keep rotating the engine in the correct direction.

srothfuss said:
There are quite a few ways to Determine TDC:

The way I do it with the cylinder heads installed:

1) Remove all of the spark plugs (make's it easier to rotate the motor)
2) Have a friend hold a finger in the #1 spark plug hole
3) Rotote the engine by hand until your friend feels air trying to push his finger out of the plug hole.

Once the air stops pushing you have reached TDC on cylinder #1. Take your distributor and line the rotor up with the #1 terminal on the cap (line on the distributor housing will work) and drop it in. You will have to get the gears to mesh so it will take a little work.

*Note: If your friends finger reports sucktion than cylinder #1 is on the power (?) stroke and you will have to start all over... I was always told to keep rotating the engine in the correct direction.

:nice: That is the easiest way without pulling the valve cover

yup now make sure you remember that number one is the front left cylinder if your looking at the face of the engine where belts go. (aka if its in the car passenger side closest to the front)

when your installing the dizzy, to get those gears to mesh, you have to turn the rotory button about a 1/4 inch to the left.(standing in front of the car facing the engine.) Then its just a little bit of finness to get it to slid down in there.

Why not pull the dist and prime..reinstall the dist and turn..then pull and prime..makes finding TDC a little easier if it's your first time. I like to prime the motor every spring, but I don't tend to follow through with the turning on the motor and repriming.