How do you install new motor mounts???

speedo

Banned
Jan 15, 2003
Hi, my name is Jesse and I have a problem. You see I recently bought new energy suspension motor mounts and have not installed them because i dunno how to put the on. My first question is where do you jack up then engine from...the oil pan? Isn't the oil pan a little to soft to jack up my 5.0? My second question is do i have to grease them up? I've heard of people complaining about squeeks after installation. Also what type of grease should I put on? I am so so eager to put them on but I cant. Once I get your advice the first thing I will do is throw the Mother F@##'s on. Thank you very much for your advice. May God help you all with your Mustang Wisdom my colleagues?

• Sponsors (?)

When I changed my shot stock ones for the stronger convertible ones, that is just what I did. I put a piece of 2x4 under the front of the pan and carefully jacked it up. That way you spread the force over the edges and front of the pan. It was not too hard, just a bit of a pain to break the bolts loose.

Good luck!

The mount nuts are very tight and you will need a ½” drive universal joint and a 7/8” socket to get them off. SAVE the NUTS –you will need to check to see if they will fit the new mounts – mine didn’t.

Put a 2x4 under the oil pan and pump up the hydraulic jack until it starts to lift the engine. Mark everything Left and Right when you take it off, as the new mounts may not be marked and it is very difficult to eyeball the and tell them apart.

Pump the jack up way high – watch for clearance and slack in wiring, vacuum lines, etc, (the cat converters didn’t clear on my 89GT) and use some wood blocks between the headers/engine and the frame if you need to remove the jack.

You may want to check the rear transmission mount while you are under the car.

You know id never personally jack a car up by the oil pan, even with a 2x4 under it, the pan just isnt strong enough in my oppinion and that un-needed stress on the gasket is just asking for a leak. But i guess thats a quick way to do it, personally id get a engine hoist and do it the right way. But hey, there your cars.

mr.nitrous said:
You know id never personally jack a car up by the oil pan, even with a 2x4 under it, the pan just isnt strong enough in my oppinion and that un-needed stress on the gasket is just asking for a leak. But i guess thats a quick way to do it, personally id get a engine hoist and do it the right way. But hey, there your cars.

I just changed my motor mounts a week ago, and I jacked up my motor with a 2/4 underneath the oil pan. I had no problems what so ever. I am not flaming you, just stating my personal experience. :nice:

your not jacking the car up by the pan, that would just be stupid, your jacking tghe motor up by the pan. Make sure to disconnect the motor mounts from the engine before jacking on the pan otherwise you will be jacking the entire car from the pan.

You can get a lift that extends from fender well to fender well, can't remember the exact name right now. It lifts the engine up from above. Seen it, haven't done it...Not yet anyway, my mounts are shot.

when i did mine, i removed the fan and shroud for clearance.
when doing the pass side, i found it much easier to get to the rear most frame-to-mount bolt by removing the starter hot wire. i popped the front wheel off and accessed the hot wire to the starter through the supspension and fenderwell (the starter cable was interfering with me getting a socket and extension or 6 on the rear bolt).

just something to remember if you get stuck. good luck. piece of cake. i think it makes the drivers side easier if you remove the oil filter (cant remember if i did).

Use an engine hoist and do it right. Jacking the motor up by the pan can cause oil pan gasket failure (think about it, was the pan designed to hold the weight of the engine? The answer is no).

If you can't afford a hoist, have a professional do the install.

I have some specail instructions just for speedo...

Get a jack, don't worry about the 2x4, its a waste of time. Put the jack under the oil pan and jack the whole car up, it will hold fine, if it bends a little oh well, it won't matter in a moment. Don't use any stands that will mess everything up. Lay under the car and get a 7/8ths or 22mm socket and unbolt the motor mounts from the K member. That is it, your done, and I mean finished.

(I cannot be held liable for this information)

90mustangGT said:
I have some specail instructions just for speedo...

Get a jack, don't worry about the 2x4, its a waste of time. Put the jack under the oil pan and jack the whole car up, it will hold fine, if it bends a little oh well, it won't matter in a moment. Don't use any stands that will mess everything up. Lay under the car and get a 7/8ths or 22mm socket and unbolt the motor mounts from the K member. That is it, your done, and I mean finished.

(I cannot be held liable for this information)

That sounds like the correct procedure personalized for speedo

thats sounds right :lol: that is exactly what i did when i put mine in with my long tube header's. here is a guy who knows everything right? and he is asking a question as simply as motor mounts come on there isnt much skill there. :rlaugh: