460 swap into a Foxbody

I have a Foxbody with a 351 in it. I want to swap in a 460 and a C6. I have some questions for those of you who have done this before...

What motor mounts did you use?

Transmission cross memeber?

Oil pan?

What headers or exhaust did you use?

Did you use a swap kit? What brand?

Any info appreciated as I would like to get this put together.

• Sponsors (?)

Take a look at this thread before you spend your money:

Reactions: 1 user
Take a look at this thread before you spend your money:

That article has a lot of good points in it. But, I'm going to put it in there anyway. It will be a fun project even if I have to hunt down parts.

• Agree
I had a 460 that I put in a 87 4 banger. Car was a dog. A friend of mine made a plate that got rid of the booster for manual brakes. Booster won't fit with 460. Used a swap kit from summit for the pan and mounts. V8 k member. I think we modified the factory crossmember. Friend was a welder. Car would push the front wheels 10ft when turning at anything over 10mph. Front suspension was bottomed out. Car was slow. Had grunt for days but was a pig from the start. Very un-fun car. I sold the car for 1500 bucks in about 2002. That car was a true death trap. Done right they are rediculous. My car was completely wrong and did I say slow ? If you go this route replace the cam for something more suited for a car and install a matching torque converter. If you don't the car will have torque but no speed.

It's going to have it challenges for sure

Attachments

• 20210518_032232.jpg
    20210518_032232.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 users
2 buddies of mine that are brothers did this back around 1991. They had a 1990 and a 1991. One was a GT and one an LX and one was hit in front and one in the rear. They cut them in 1/2 and welded them back together and dropped a stock 460 in it from a 1970ish big car. can't think it if was a Lincoln or what but it was a big car. At the time they said you could not put a 460 in one with the stock hood, factory air conditioning and power brakes and they did all 3. Car looked 100% stock. It ran something like 11.70's but I think they had a small shot of NOS on it then. The one brother owns a body shop now and the other works at an automotive paint supply store. They re-made the k-member to drop the engine 2" to fit it under the hood and they modified the brake pedal mechanism to move the booster over a few inches to clear the valve covers. Back around 1993 there was a picture of it in Hot Rod magazine while on the Power Tour. Unfortunately about 5 years ago Lee was on his way back from the local drag strip running M&H's and it started raining. He ended up flipping the car. He still has it but they pulled the powertrain and put it in about a 1983ish Mustang the Lees son drives now.

Is that a carb or fuel injected manifold? Either way, I like it. Hydroboost is a must, but all the swaps I would personally consider (Godzilla, Coyote) would need that anyway.

I just did a 5 minute CL search and found a 460 pulled from an econoline RV with 50,000 miles for $500. This has the truck top end that leaves a lot to be desired, but a $500 assembled short block isn’t anything to shake a stick at…

Edelbrock dual plane with a 750 Quickfuel.
$500 is a good deal. I paid more than that just for pistons.
I’m sure the 750 delivers plenty of gas. With some heads and a cam to go with the Edelbrock, I’m sure the torque is bonkers. Carbs are just voodoo to me and this dog is too old for new tricks.

My small block is fine for what I have now but I know I’ll swap something different eventually. Coyote is an amazing motor but probably the most expensive route for the build I would personally put together. I have a personal affinity for a Godzilla swap but I really like big blocks. The stroked 460 route with fuel injection, aftermarket engine management, heads and cam for possibly the cheapest option calls to me a lot as well.

All the options have strengths and weaknesses and I’m not trying to push any one agenda.

Please document your build as much as possible, I would hang on every post.