How Do You Verify A/C Install Was Factory or Dealer?

5literPwr

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
I went to autozone a few hours ago to get a serpentine drive belt for my 93 GT as mine is pretty much worn. The gentleman at autozone needed to know whether my A/C was factory or dealer installed. He said it makes a difference as his computers report two sized belts, and the correct size depends on the A/C install. This is news to me, but anyway, does anyone know how I can verify if my A/C was factory or dealer installed? I am not the original owner of my car, so I wouldnt know the answer, but I am hoping that there is a way to determine this by looking for a tag or sticker somewhere. If anyone knows, I would really apreciate it, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same prob. just by looking at the car? I wouldn't know, but the belt for a dealer system is substantially longer than a factory spec belt. The part robot told me to try the longer belt and that's how I found out my car did not have dealer a/c. lol I would imagine that 99% of the refrigerated 'Stangs out there are factory A/C and I don't see why Autozone wouldn't take the belt back if it was the worng one.

I had the same prob. just by looking at the car? I wouldn't know, but the belt for a dealer system is substantially longer than a factory spec belt. The part robot told me to try the longer belt and that's how I found out my car did not have dealer a/c. lol I would imagine that 99% of the refrigerated 'Stangs out there are factory A/C and I don't see why Autozone wouldn't take the belt back if it was the wrong one.

Years ago I installed dealer air condition kits and we used a different compressor. It mounted to the same bracket but had a larger pulley on it for some reason. I would also guess that 95% of all GTs had factory air because the dealer would order the COOL package which most had air and a sunroof. I can remember putting air on hundreds of LX and LX convertibles but maybe a couple of GTs.

5literPwr said:
Does anyone know how I can verify if my A/C was factory or dealer installed?
Attached to the upper radiator core support, behind the right (driver side) headlight, there is a metal tag (called a Body Tag, or "buck tag" in street slang) with a bunch of numbers and letters stamped to it. If the vehicle had AC installed at the factory, the letters "AC" will be stamped on the 4th or 5th line.