How is the factory GT hood scoop attached?

KevinV

Jan 9, 2001
Hello,

I can't find a local dealer that has a Mustang with the GT appearance package. I like the scoop but haven't seen it up close. I need to decide if I really want it.

Is it just a taped or bolted on scoop? Or is it one piece with the hood? The dealer says he can put the same thing on one of their existing cars and it wouldn't be any different.

Thanks,
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

That's crazy it seems like all the cars for sale here have that package on them.

Not too crazy about non functional hood scoop if you ask me I'd get a shaker hood and add some function to the looks.

Hello,

I can't find a local dealer that has a Mustang with the GT appearance package. I like the scoop but haven't seen it up close. I need to decide if I really want it.

Is it just a taped or bolted on scoop? Or is it one piece with the hood? The dealer says he can put the same thing on one of their existing cars and it wouldn't be any different.

Thanks,
Kevin

Mine uses two bolts down each side near the front of the scoop then push-through body pins along the rear sides and back. I've had mine off a couple times to install sequential turn signals and brake lights in the back of the scoop and now the body pins don't quite hold the rear of the scoop down tight to the hood (there's a slight air gap visible from the driver's seat). It seems that the scoop isn't contoured perfectly for the hood and if you suck the bolts down tight, it lifts the rear of the scoop a bit. It's not really noticeable to anyone else but me so I've decided to leave it for now.

Your dealer should be able to do the install no problem.

I wouldn't buy that scoop again. I have the factory package like the one you are looking at, I think it looks good, but it is very annoying to keep clean. After you have chamoised, water builds up underneath and you come back to your car an hour later with water lines running down your hood from the scoop. It's not a big deal, but kind of annoying. I agree with walter, a functional scoop would be best. If you have the money, try the saleen super shaker with supercharger from brenspeed. I think that will be my next mod.

Put mine on myself and I love it. true it is a pain when you wash the car but I love looking out over the scoop, the car just seems meaner. I watched ebay until a torch red one came up forsale and it matches perfectly. I also must say that mine fits along the edge perfectly and I have no complaints about fitment.

The install was easy because your hood felt has holes in which to drill. I spend alot of time aligning mine (my Dad and I joked that the factory did not spend this much time lining one up.)

I am terrible at it but will try to attach pics.

Attachments

• On_the_Track_Bristol 1.5 mile.jpg
    On_the_Track_Bristol 1.5 mile.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 164