how many miles should i be able to get off a full tank?

• Sponsors (?)

lol ya id like to know how many gallons my 87 stock tank holds, i have never filled it more than 11.xx gallons , that is anywhere from 210-230+ depending on what driving im doing. If it holds 15 gallons, i guess i have 4 or so of those that have never been used in the past 4 or 5 years ive owned this car! :crazy:

mr_woodster said:
lol ya id like to know how many gallons my 87 stock tank holds, i have never filled it more than 11.xx gallons , that is anywhere from 210-230+ depending on what driving im doing. If it holds 15 gallons, i guess i have 4 or so of those that have never been used in the past 4 or 5 years ive owned this car! :crazy:
Yes! Thats how it is with mine!

I run my tank down with the needle below empty, when I can see a gap between the needle and the red empty mark is when I hightail it to a gas station. You can get the needle approx. 2 needle widths below the empty mark before you are seriously fubar.

measuring miles per tank does not work...

you need to pick a sweet spot that you like filling up at, and park the car at that spot whenever making mileage estimates, due to variances in ground slope and the point at which the pump shuts off.

First you fill the tank at your sweet spot until the pump shuts off, then squeeze the handle till it shuts off twice more, with 2 second pauses in between. That should be your calibrated full level.

Reset tripmeter and drive around. You do not need the data from your first fillup. When you are ready for another fillup, go back to your sweet spot and repeat fill procedure. BEFORE you pay for the gas record the gallons pumped and mileage on tripmeter. If you forget, and they reset the pump, you can get an estimate of gallons by dividing what you paid by the price per gallon, but this is not nearly as accurate as the pump readout.

For the greatest accuracy, do not reset your tripmeter, but go through a second and maybe even third tank and add up the total gallons consumed. Be aware that the resulting data will only apply to the conditions you drive under, eg. city or highway driving.

Total mileage elapsed, divided by total gallons consumed, is your combined miles per gallon of fuel consumption.

After 600 miles of mostly highway driving on Saturday and Sunday, I recorded 27.9 mpg. Tires may have been a bit underinflated.

yea i fill up and its like 100 miles at a half of a tank and then I get about 330-320 before it says Empty. I hate our gauges. Is thier any way to correct that. I hate driving up and down hills and it just floats all over the place. How would you go about hooking up an aftermarket gauge? :shrug:

Also off topic , but if your DIS module is acting up , would it throw a code?

LOL i wish i had a gas gauge in my first stang and the one now plus both the rangers none of them have worked. i go by the milage and i get about 21mpg city and i normaly fill up between 200-270 i dont really like to push it. With the 88 i got now and the 87 the problem is some chip behind the cluster that went out that ford dont make anymore. My 85 ranger v6 when it gets to a half tank the gauge reads empty

blastit116 said:
i only get 220 out of a tank and thats crapy compared to yall so know i have to figure out whats wrong

I had the timing belt slip and got about that. It is easy to check. There was also a drop in power but that was hard to notice in a na stock 2.3l, which is really weak to begin with.

Foxfan88 said:
whats the mpg on 2.3s?

I hope at least 300, could i get 350?

A 1991-1993 with a 2.3L automatic is advertised to have 25 city 28 highway. But here we are over ten years later so who knows? I can go somewhere in the 300 mark running the tank from full to just vapors.

My 89 gets 21 in normal around town, and 24 with a couple 120 mile highway trips in there. The tank seems to hold 12-14 gals without me worrying about filling it.

My 79 Capri 5.0 gets 14 in town and 21 on the road, with a 13 gal tank. If you try to use more than about 11.5 gallons, you better get low at the top of the hill, cause its getting real low! 175 miles is a long way on one tank.