How many subs do I need?

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
Is there a point where addnig more subs is pointlesss? I'm thinking of buying two Type X 12" subs.. and maybe giong 4 one day lol...

Is this overkill?

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what you want...the more subs, the more sound pressure, so if you are building an SPL car (which you probably are not) then adding a lot of subs is probably pointless. Originially I was gonna get 2 12's that were rated at 400 watts rms a piece. Instead, I just got one 12 thats rated at 800 watts rms. Its loud as hell. I have never had it over 3/4 volume. Any system over 500 watts rms is gonna be loud, probably loud enough for you.

My system is a little aged now but hear it is
2 15"
2 8" Subs are old school Solo baric (the round ones!!!)
4 6 1/2"
2 5 1/4"
6 1"

This is not an SPL car, it just sounds damn good.

It made the car so heavy I had to build a stroker motor to move the car around.

Too much, is just enough.

dkhl said:
Is there a point where addnig more subs is pointlesss? I'm thinking of buying two Type X 12" subs.. and maybe giong 4 one day lol...

Is this overkill?

it's a matter of getting 4 in your trunk and still making it sound good....

if not done right it could sound like azz...you just end up with muffled sound inside the car and more trunk rattle on the outside...

I'm basically looking for this:

Something that sounds good when I'm cruising around town, and then when I pull up at a redlight and see a living goddess one car over, I'd like to turn up the bass and make her REALLY feel the subs. Hahaha

Two Type X should do this I think, Anybody suggest some good brands of subs? I've skimped out on a lot of things to really go all out for some nice subs and good amp.. What are some really high end brands?

dkhl said:
I'm basically looking for this:

Something that sounds good when I'm cruising around town, and then when I pull up at a redlight and see a living goddess one car over, I'd like to turn up the bass and make her REALLY feel the subs. Hahaha

Two Type X should do this I think, Anybody suggest some good brands of subs? I've skimped out on a lot of things to really go all out for some nice subs and good amp.. What are some really high end brands?

Let me share with you what every average girl as ever shared with me. If I want to hear your music I'll get in your car, if you want my attention say hello. I could really care less what your listening to or what your horn sounds like. I can whistle don't need a man to do that for me or at me. Just say hello.

Now for your own enjoyment check out the infinity perfect series!

Following the guidlines below....I would suggest the haircut and a shave mod...to gain optimum noticability....which would in turn give you a few extra quarts of pimp juice...

robbyduba said:
Let me share with you what every average girl as ever shared with me. If I want to hear your music I'll get in your car, if you want my attention say hello. I could really care less what your listening to or what your horn sounds like. I can whistle don't need a man to do that for me or at me. Just say hello.

Now for your own enjoyment check out the infinity perfect series!

NOW you're talkin'... Check www.mcintoshlabs.com I think most would agree that their amps are in a class by themselves. I swear by their speakers as well, have them inside the house and the car! "Pricey" is an understatement, tho... keep an eye on eBay. IMO

I would suggest trying boston acoustics g5 or diamond audio tdx subs. For amps,if you really want to go all out, try zapco, mcintosh,audison, genesis, diamond audio d9(if they are out yet :shrug:) ,or tru technology amps.

I personally like boston acoustics. Its not too pricey but great sound quality but also gets pretty loud and clean.

heres my quipment ( not installed yet):

soundstream van gogh vga 600.2
soundstream van gogh vga 1600.2
2 12 inch boston acoustics g5 subs(i may go for 4 10s) :D
boston acoustics z6 components
alpine iva-d300 (soon tobe exchanged for d310)
alpine pxa-h701 processor(purchasing soon)

I have 1 single 10" JL W7 with a 500/1 JL Audio Amp and I am surprised the windows haven't shattered yet! I wouldn't think you would need any more than that! For those of you that do, wow...

reeber said:
I have 1 single 10" JL W7 with a 500/1 JL Audio Amp and I am surprised the windows haven't shattered yet! I wouldn't think you would need any more than that! For those of you that do, wow...

Yea i've heard these before, they are beasts. 1 is more than enough. Anything JL Audio is a good investment, 1 10 or 12 W6 is probably enough.