how much boost for a stock 5.0?

KENS89LX

Mar 12, 2006
Cross lanes Wv
I have a friend who has a vortech s-trim that I am looking to buy, it currently setup for 13lbs, I'm thinking that is too much, I have a stock lower end with gt-40p-heads with upgraded valves 1.94/1.60 three angle valve job and a e-cam. I am on a tight budget so any help? I also am getting a gt-40 intake with the deal that has 36lb in. I know that is way too much, would 24lbs work. And is the supercharger good for everyday use?:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh I and also I get the whole kit to hook up the charger which is polished as is the intake, a 75 mmm throttle body bbk fuel pressure regulator the computer with a vortech chip ganitelli blow off valve, guages, boost control, msd box for the spark advance. The only thing I'm not getting is the fuel pump, which I currectly have a 110 lph intank. What size will i need?

I recommend at least a 190 although for a few bucks more jus get a 255. that way you'll have enough pump in the future when you decide to go bigger.30 lb injectors would be about right for that combo. get the car tuned. dont run an fmu.

I think that you should run the 36lb injectors. I would say go with 42s if you had good aluminum heads and a nice valvetrain with more cam. 24s are way to weak for that much boost. If you were running 5 lbs you can get away with them. 36s should be good for 430hp. with 13lbs of boost your getting serious power out of a 5.0 no matter what. I wouldn't do it with a stock bottom end. Safely I would run 8lbs max.

A t-rex or "boost a pump" external pump would generally be added to a stock setup. If you do a drop in replacement, an external add-on would not be necessary.

You'll get all kinds of answers as to how much boost. 9/10lb on stock bottom end without a rebuild or reinforcing seems to be a commonly accepted level.

Why no FMU? They can be such a pain. Just get the injectors to fit your setup and get a good tune.

Good luck!

Its not the amount of psi your running that breaks the lower end, its the amount of power your making that will split the block if thats what your worried about. As long as you get the car tuned just run alittle less boost to make yourself more comfortable and make 400+ rwhp and be done with it. Run the 36's for now until you mod some more, and put a 255 in the tank.

Upgrade the fuel pump to at least at 190 as stated. They can be had for about 100.00 or get a 255 for about 115.00

Run the 36's without an FMU but you will need an Mass Air Meter to match it. (didnt see it in your list of items you are getting)

Its not the amount of psi your running that breaks the lower end, its the amount of power your making that will split the block if thats what your worried about. As long as you get the car tuned just run alittle less boost to make yourself more comfortable and make 400+ rwhp and be done with it. Run the 36's for now until you mod some more, and put a 255 in the tank.
Exactly. Put it all on there, get it dyno tuned, and if you're making much more than 400rwhp back the boost down a little till you're around 400, that should be safe with a good tune.