How much can a v8 world class t5 handle?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I stuck a t5 out of an 89 GT into my car last year. It has a steel retainer, for whatever thats worth. I get mixed messages on how much the thing can handle on the classics board... some said even my mild 351w might have too much torque for it and some said it could take 400 hp (without slicks and regular powershifting) without issue.

I sort of figured I didn't see 5.0 guys constantly swapping their t5s out for tremecs so they can't be thaaat weak (though since I don't own a fox I could be misinformed).

So I figured I'd ask the source. What are people's experiences with these units? I figured you get this question a lot but did a few searches and didn't find anything specifically saying when a t5 starts getting in over its head.

• Sponsors (?)

The T5 is kind of hit and miss. It really comes down to how hard you launch and how hard you shift. I was able to break mine with just hard shifts and I don't have anything close to a mild 351. Upgraded ones can handle a lot of power but the cost of an upgraded t5 and a TKO series is about the same. I think I already replied to your post in the classic section... I'll let others chime in then.
Kevin

They can handle quite a bit, so long as you aren't launching them on sticky tires a lot, or powershifting. Some guys can't kill them, others blow them up like they're going out of style. I've personally never had a problem with any of mine, but I don't drive like a complete savage at all times like some do. The 90-93 units are rated a bit higher than the earlier ones if you are buying used for what it's worth.

They can handle quite a bit, so long as you aren't launching them on sticky tires a lot, or powershifting. Some guys can't kill them, others blow them up like they're going out of style. I've personally never had a problem with any of mine, but I don't drive like a complete savage at all times like some do. The 90-93 units are rated a bit higher than the earlier ones if you are buying used for what it's worth.

Yeah I found that out after I got and installed the 89 one :(

Well, I'll drive it and see how long it lasts, shrug. Thanks

IMO, sell it while it still works well, it has alot higher value that way, because if you break something serious, all it will be is 75lbs of scrap metal.

Instead of investing money in clutches or flywheels to match up, it really would be a better investment to get a tremec or have the t5 made into a gforce because with one of them the clutch will not be able to be re-used, and you will just have more scrap metal to add to the pile.

I beat mine till it broke, and i wish i didn't. I landed up with a trans worth $100 instead of $600, and a Useless $300 clutch.
That's $800 that could of went towards a better setup.

I've gone through two T5's already. If you baby you're stang, you shouldn't have a problem. If not invest in a stronger transmission, especially if you're going to be adding more hp/tq to your pony. :nice: