How much for cam swap?

Blev

Aug 17, 2003
So. Cal. V-Town
I'm looking at another MOD and decided to go with a cam swap. From all that I have read it's a good 15 hp gain. I'm thinking about the PI Intake at the same time but not sure yet. How much should I expect to pay for a cam swap?

• Sponsors (?)

If you're going to do a cam swap, for the money, you'd be better off just getting the set of P.I. heads and P.I. intake complet with cams from Kar Kraft. Good condition parts with 20,000-30,000 miles on them for $400. At least that's what I'd do.
--Adam

Blev said:
I'm looking at another MOD and decided to go with a cam swap. From all that I have read it's a good 15 hp gain. I'm thinking about the PI Intake at the same time but not sure yet. How much should I expect to pay for a cam swap?

Took me approx. 10 hours to complete the camswap portion, and could see a garage charging 5+ hours minimum. So whatever your local rate is, should be atleast 5x that hourly rate. Or you could do it yourself? :D

DrK MrK iV said:
How hard is it to do a cam swap?

Supposidly its not that hard, just time consuming. I have seen where people have done cams in 5-6 hours. If you are doing valve springs, count on 10. I'll report back on Sunday and let everyone know how mine went. I've got a set of Comp Cams XE270AH. They are 234/238 @.050 duration, .550/.550 lift, and 113* lobe seperation.

nickthegenius said:
Supposidly its not that hard, just time consuming. I have seen where people have done cams in 5-6 hours. If you are doing valve springs, count on 10. I'll report back on Sunday and let everyone know how mine went. I've got a set of Comp Cams XE270AH. They are 234/238 @.050 duration, .550/.550 lift, and 113* lobe seperation.
Good luck bro!!

I myself don't feel confident enough to tackle this job. I read the write up for it and the first couple parts I think I can handle, it's when you gotta start clamping down the chains and need like 4 sets of hands that scares me off. I'm gonna check that Kar Kraft deal that was mentioned. My only concern is that the shop won't mess with the intake because the ports don't match up and neither do the gaskets. I truley doubt they'll use RTV. Anyone in So. Cal. that want's to help drink some beer and lend a set of knowledgable hands? Well, I hope to pick up the cams this weekend. What other stuff do I need? Gaskets, seals and such.

crashGTR1 said:
If you're going to do a cam swap, for the money, you'd be better off just getting the set of P.I. heads and P.I. intake complet with cams from Kar Kraft. Good condition parts with 20,000-30,000 miles on them for $400. At least that's what I'd do.
--Adam
Do they sell used PI cams I have Svo heads now I need some cams. It seems to me that aftermaket cam make 20-25rwhp and PI cams 15rwhp.

Black-stang said:
Do they sell used PI cams I have Svo heads now I need some cams. It seems to me that aftermaket cam make 20-25rwhp and PI cams 15rwhp.

The website (karkraft.com) is down for annual maintenance at the moment, but I don't recall seeing any there. I'll check for sure when the site's back up.
--Adam

crashGTR1 said:
The website (karkraft.com) is down for annual maintenance at the moment, but I don't recall seeing any there. I'll check for sure when the site's back up.
--Adam
Yeah, it's down...I thought it was my work network not letting me through at first. But then I cloaked in and it was still no go. I'll post info if I can get in later.

Okay, what are PI cams and heads? I know trick flow and edelbrock but what are PI? Also, can you buy heads and cams together? I thought they were completely seperate on most cars? I've never owned a Ford before and am trying to get this beast figured out. Where do you get the heads and cams? Are they difficult to change if you have a garage or someone with good engine experience? I am not an engine guy by any means but have a cousin who is good and he could do it, but I need to know what they are and where to get them. Oh, I have a 96 GT automatic.
Thanks

Okay, if I have a stock 96 GT and want to do a PI head and cam swap, I can go from the SOHC to DOHC? I thought that you couldn't change from one to two cams? Please help me here, I'm confused.

well just to make this clear you realize that the SOHC is 2 cams and the DOHC is 4 cams. Also I don't think it will be that easy to go from a SOHC setup to a DOHC setup on the same block.

rob1 said:
Okay, if I have a stock 96 GT and want to do a PI head and cam swap, I can go from the SOHC to DOHC? I thought that you couldn't change from one to two cams? Please help me here, I'm confused.

the "PI" head engines are dual over head cam engines - one cam per head, for a total of two. you can not add two more cams to the head. you can add the 4 valve heads, the cobra heads, to your block; but it IS NOT worth it. to switch over from a 2v head to a 4v head is way to much money, not to mention a huge headache. so if you are wanting to get a 4v engine..... buy a 4v longblock, don't try to add different heads to your engine.

hope i helped you make sense of it :nice:

nickthegenius said:
Update please. I also ordered my PI Intake. :nice:

nickthegenius said:

Dude, how'd it go? I am about to purchase some VT stage 1's and I gotta know if I can do it myself. How mechanically inclined are you?