How much HP can a stock 01 gt 2v hold???

• Sponsors (?)

no magic #, but 400 is the general concensus. People have made more power, but unless you have $$$ laying around to buy a new motor, 400 is a good number to limit yourself too.

just get a good tune

helty said:
no magic #, but 400 is the general concensus. People have made more power, but unless you have $$$ laying around to buy a new motor, 400 is a good number to limit yourself too.

just get a good tune

Well put.

I would add that as far as keeping the engine intact, a good tune is one that does not detonate. A/F and timing settings need to be set accordingly and with a margin of safety.

BennyBlown2v said:
400-500rwhp RPM and detonation is what kills these motors.

Not always. The increased cylinder pressure from adding boost will also kill a motor. The key is the keep the engine in an effective compression ratio that it can survive in without detonation. The difference is that detonation will kill it instantly where as the a high effective comression ratio will wear it down over time until it breaks. 500 rwhp even on the best of tunes is not going to last long.

Yeah I know, and agree...lol RPM is gonna kill the rods none the less, thats why alot of NA 2v's blow - people over revving them to get into the powerband with aggressive cams. And poor tuning is the leading cause for detonation - which is just as bad as over spinning.

CobraRed_96_GT said:
jesus Blown, ur ride is a friggin sleeper

The sound sometimes gives it away though ... :nonono:.

BennyBlown2v said:
400-500rwhp RPM and detonation is what kills these motors.

Yep.

As far as detonation, an engine will just as readily break at 300 rwhp. High hp with high rpm and stock rods is not a good mix either. I know of a few 500+ rwhp 2v stock shortblocks that survived for a good while, and one of them was a well known MM&FF project car that was run hard at the track numerous times on pump gas (11.2 @126 mph at full weight). Although horsepower alone will break the stock engine after a point, that limit is not reachable by most street driven S/C combinations on pump gas.