How much is my air conditioner worth?

muddslide

Mar 10, 2003
DAYTONA BEACH
I just took out my air conditioner from my 67 mustang. It is the one with the two square air vents. How much should I sell it for with the compressor and hoses? The unit worked when I took it out a few months ago. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

muddslide said:
I just took out my air conditioner from my 67 mustang. It is the one with the two square air vents. How much should I sell it for with the compressor and hoses? The unit worked when I took it out a few months ago. Thanks
I'm confused by the "two square air vents" part, is that the aftermarket (underdash) setup? Factory A/C in '67 had two square vents in the center of the dash but also had two round vents, one for each front seat passenger.

If the parts you have are original they are worth "something". Your condensor and evaporator are trash, the compressor is only worth a little and only to a concours type of guy. The fiberglass evaporator box (the one that also has the heater core in it) can be worth $100+ if it isn't broken anywhere, and the four A/C registers are getting pretty good prices on eBay, they are quite expensive for deluxe interiors without pitting.

If it is an aftermarket setup it is worth very little. Not valueless but I would not pay over $150 for the whole shebang.

I don't want to give specific price quotes for obvious reasons.

muddslide said:
Thanks, how can I tell if the air is aftermarket?
Does it bolt up under the dash? What can you see from the driver's seat? If all you can see is the air vents then it is original, if there is this "box" bolted up under the dash that has the controls and air vents it is aftermarket.

muddslide said:
Thanks, it looks like an aftermarket. I will hold on to it for a while if its not worth much.
I'm not 100% sure (only 95% :D) but those COULD have been a dealer installed "option" in 1967 too. There's heated debate about a delaer installed option being "original" and all that as well. You may want to examine the unit for any FoMoCo stampings or part numbers. If you find it is of the correct vintage it is not worthless. Might want to find SuperDave and ask him about this. In 64.5-66 ALL airconditioners were the underdash variety, it is also possible that someone pulled a unit from an earlier Stang and fitted it onto yours. Do you have the ability to post a picture? Whatever you do do NOT throw it away until you are sure, if you know for a fact it was an '80s bolt-on then you can go ahead :D