How much of an improvement will it be from a 02/03 GT to a 2001 Cobra?

alright i'm not sure how old you are but factor insurance into the deal.....the diff in car prices are about 3-4k......the 03 gt is definatly gonna have lower miles.....so i'd go with that throw a supercharger on it you'd be running more hp than the cobra and save ya a bit on what the insurance companies are gonna screw ya over for.....just my .02

Edge

• Sponsors (?)

My buddies an I are always floating the idea of starting a South Shore Mustang club. Between us we have an 03 Mach 1, an 01 Cobra, an 02 GT, a 98 GT and my car. It was pretty cool, we all got our cars between Sept. 03 and this past February. The 98 will evemtually be the sickest car. The kid who owns it is a mechanic at a Porsche dealership in Norwell. He just bought a 5.0 to bore and stroke that he's going to swap with.

I looked at both about two months ago, 01 cobras i found were bout 18-19 I ended up buying a 02 GT coupe with 7k miles for 15, i figured the low miles was the way to go rather than take a 40k mile cobra that someone had beat to ****, just my 2 cents. Dan

I'd go with the cobra, 60 more hp at the crank, look for a private seller, I paid $9.5 for my 99 gt with 38k, same horsepower as the 04 gt's. I couldnt find a 99gt from a dealer for less than 14-15k around here. I would think you could find an 01 cobra for about 15k if you look hard.

pts02GT said:
^^ good points, but how much more powerful is the cobra than the 03GT?

If I get a 2002/2003 GT how much $$$ would it cost in mods to get up there to the Cobras 320hp?

A lot. The GT's are 260 hp (flywheel) thats probably only about 225 hp (rearwheel). While the Cobras are at about 280rwhp and 320flywheel hp. You would have to add 60hp to the GT to make it as fast as the cobra...well statistically speaking...

Not to mention if you were to throw all that GT mod money into the cobra...imagine what you could do, adding 60hp to the 4v DOHC :D

Plus....its a cobra :spot:

(EDIT: the 320 hp is of course the 99 & 01 Cobra hp. We all know how much the new Cobras are pumping out :nice:)

pts02GT said:
"Have you dealt with Veracka before? They're pretty fair on the prices. They don't try and gouge you, but they also don't budge much. They pretty much know they have what you want, and if you don't buy it someone else will."

I've been there once, and dealt with a man named John, nice fellow and he seemed very fair. Let me take the 2003 GT out to test drive, because as you probably know the cars are pretty much 1 inch apart from each other due to space, and he didnt want to have to move 20 cars to get me the one I wanted to test drive :notnice:

But anyways, the 2003 rode nice, 21K miles, $16,999...I would have bought it on the spot but the color was an ugly purple/blueish...and I really want leather seats. So I think I am going to buy a 2002 Mustang GT for around $16,000 with 16,000 miles on it :banana:

I dont think ill be able to talk them down in price at all though :mad:

16999? Seems kinda high man for a car with 21000 miles on it? I bought my 03 gt brand new last mayfor 20k I would def do some talking on that price.

03redfiregt said:
16999? Seems kinda high man for a car with 21000 miles on it? I bought my 03 gt brand new last mayfor 20k I would def do some talking on that price.

Brand new is a different story unfortunately. I bought my GT brand new in January. The sticker was 26.5k, but I paid 20k after the $4500 Ford rebate and another $2000 from the dealer. Unfortunately there are no rebates with used cars, so book value is what they go by. Believe it or not, the KBB for an 03 with 23k miles is ~$19k.

Zinc03GT said:
If we use the 15% parasitic loss formula, the Cobra will have 272 rwhp while the GT will have 221 rwhp. In order to match the Cobra, I would say full exhaust ($700 - $1000 depending on brand and other variables),4.10 gears (~$150), a tune (~$300 - $500 depending on if you have a shop dyno tune or if you get a programmer, etc.) and some control arms (~$300 - $500) would give you the edge. Roughly $1500 - $2200. This is all for acceleration. If you have a preference on looks, interior, IRS vs. solid rear, etc. you need to take that into consideration. I just know my car doesn't feel that much slower than my buddy's '01 Cobra. I'd say from my own experience driving them Mach 1>'01 Cobra>GT at about equal increments.

I guess I would have given an 01 Cobra a run for it's money if I only had gears.

See sig for numbers.

Matt

pts02GT said:
"Have you dealt with Veracka before? They're pretty fair on the prices. They don't try and gouge you, but they also don't budge much. They pretty much know they have what you want, and if you don't buy it someone else will."

I've been there once, and dealt with a man named John, nice fellow and he seemed very fair. Let me take the 2003 GT out to test drive, because as you probably know the cars are pretty much 1 inch apart from each other due to space, and he didnt want to have to move 20 cars to get me the one I wanted to test drive :notnice:

But anyways, the 2003 rode nice, 21K miles, $16,999...I would have bought it on the spot but the color was an ugly purple/blueish...and I really want leather seats. So I think I am going to buy a 2002 Mustang GT for around $16,000 with 16,000 miles on it :banana:

I dont think ill be able to talk them down in price at all though :mad:

16k for an 02' at a dealer is not a bad deal here in MA, go for for it! If i was selling my car, id ask more than 16 with double the miles almost.