How to adjust clutch and slight vibration

PewterStallion

Apr 11, 2004
I just purchased this car about a month ago, and it has a king cobra clutch with the adjustable cable/quadrant...how do I go about adjusting this as I have to had the clutch 2/3 of the way up before i can take off...or is that normal? I'm not used to these cars at all. Second, it seems like the pedal has a dead spot...and after it catches and it's all he way up, i can pull the pedal up even farther, but if i tap it, it goes back down...weird.

Anyways, my second question/problem is that when I shift into neutral and am coming down to a stop, I get a vibration coming from my rear end that i can feel in the shifter (I hear it coming from the rear a little). Could this possibly be a bad u-joint? The bearings and unit are pretty much new in the rear.

• Sponsors (?)

PewterStallion said:
I just purchased this car about a month ago, and it has a king cobra clutch with the adjustable cable/quadrant...how do I go about adjusting this as I have to had the clutch 2/3 of the way up before i can take off...or is that normal? I'm not used to these cars at all. Second, it seems like the pedal has a dead spot...and after it catches and it's all he way up, i can pull the pedal up even farther, but if i tap it, it goes back down...weird.

Anyways, my second question/problem is that when I shift into neutral and am coming down to a stop, I get a vibration coming from my rear end that i can feel in the shifter (I hear it coming from the rear a little). Could this possibly be a bad u-joint? The bearings and unit are pretty much new in the rear.
ill give you a bump. i would worry about the clutch not engaging all the way as it is now. does the clutch slip at all? is there any freeplay?
most stangs run with some preload on the clutch cable. i have just a smidge of freeplay, and my clutch engages about halfway down the pedal travel. i know it is not slipping, and i like to have the engagement higher.

it sounds like to have the pedal engage further down, you would need to dial in a bunch of slack into the cable. that can create other problems.
if it does not slip, i would leave well enough alone (if you dial in more preload, the pedal will engage even higher on the pedal).

rear vibs: try some tests. like do what you do to make it vibrate. being safe and controlled and all of that, try stoppin but only use the ebrake. see if it feels the same. any rear end work done lately (gears, etc)? is the shifter stock (with the rubber isolator in the handle? if not, some vibs are common in the handle).

diagnosing driveline and rear end problems and noises can be real hard, as the accoustics can play games with your head (hard to pinpoint the source, as sounds bounce around).

well, i know that did not help much, but that is my best guesses and thoughts. good luck.

thanks for the help. Any is appreciated. The clutch doesn't slip at all so maybe I wont worry about it, I'm just use to driving a toyota truck where the clutch engages 1/4 of the way up hehe. The rear end did recently have work done with a new bearings and a whole new unit. I think it's the stock shifter but it's hard to say.