How to: Re-wiring/providing power to ECT sensor

95cobradude said:
before u go through any of that u can have somebody hook up a scan tool to the car and see if u get a coolant temp reading on the scanner. if there is a reading then the computer and the sensor is doing its job.
Yeah, that's only OBDII-type stuff.
The EEC-V is far more less accomodating, so we are resigned to the lobr0intensive grunt work :)

I'll disconnect the computer connector to get the reading.
The car is supposed to be OFF at this point, right?

• Sponsors (?)

jaymac said:
Yeah, that's only OBDII-type stuff.
The EEC-V is far more less accomodating, so we are resigned to the lobr0intensive grunt work :)

I'll disconnect the computer connector to get the reading.
The car is supposed to be OFF at this point, right?
Yes, with a warm engine so the ECT provides some useful data.

hate to burst your bubbles but any shop with a decent scan tool(snap-on, mac) we'll be able to hook it up to the "eec test" connector under the hood and pull codes and data, which includes coolant sensor data. u can do whatever u want but trust me, i have worked on and pulled data from many cars for this reason.

95cobradude said:
hate to burst your bubbles but any shop with a decent scan tool(snap-on, mac) we'll be able to hook it up to the "eec test" connector under the hood and pull codes and data, which includes coolant sensor data.
Ok, Ok, Ok...you are right; I was wrong. I fould the snap-on Solus, which it claims can read the EEC all the back to 1980... Granted, a $2000 tool, so a little more thorough than my Actron hand-held :) , but I suppose a "good shop" would have one and be able to shortcut my problem...
Well, I thank you for your new-to-me knowledge, and apologize for telling you you were wrong!!!:hail2:
Learn somethin' new every day, huh??:shrug:

well thats why we are here, 2 educate. get your car over to a shop and just ask them if they can hook up the scan tool to see if your coolant temp sensor is working. its easier doing that than doing what your doing now and risk creating another problem.

I would like to know how that turned out. I have been messing with this eecv stuff for a wile now and havent seen anything that will plug into the test port and give act/ect figures. I say pull out the parts cannon and start shooting. install a known good engine harness if that doesnt fix it swap in a known good computer. chris

any scan tool made by a reputable company such as snap on, mac , matco, etc. have scan tools that will plug into the diagnostic port of any car and give trouble codes, sensor data, troubleshooting tips, a bunch of other ****.

Not true at all. I've got the snap-on modis and the newest OTC handheld, as well as many other older snap-on units and NONE will read the datastream values from 1993 back on the eec IV.

Even pathfinder on the OTC won't show datastream, it will only test funtion sensors but not all of them.

Besides a scan tool will not tell if there are opens or shorts in a harness. Only a dvom and a knowledgeable person will trace down this sort of problem.

If your trying to find an open or short in the harness, Matco makes a sweet tester that sends radiowaves through the tested wire to help find the problem. Its called a Faultfinder.

mcclean said:
Not true at all. I've got the snap-on modis and the newest OTC handheld, as well as many other older snap-on units and NONE will read the datastream values from 1993 back on the eec IV.

Even pathfinder on the OTC won't show datastream, it will only test funtion sensors but not all of them.

Besides a scan tool will not tell if there are opens or shorts in a harness. Only a dvom and a knowledgeable person will trace down this sort of problem.

If your trying to find an open or short in the harness, Matco makes a sweet tester that sends radiowaves through the tested wire to help find the problem. Its called a Faultfinder.

He said just what I have been saying all along.