How To Start Build

Kyle Akers

Jun 12, 2017
heys guys. I'm new here. I have a 66 coupe that's been sitting in the garage now for 34years now. It's time to get started. I've got random parts but need to know what else I need.

It's a 289 c code. I want to keep the stock block but I'm not going to build the block rightnow. I have edelbrock performer rpm heads and intake, Holley 750 carb (which I think might be too much but it was cheap) comp cams 280hr cam, dougs full length headers 1 3/4 to 3 inch. What I need to know is , what do I need to do to get all of this stuff to work together with the block ? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

its all small block ford stuff, so it will bolt onto the block. when building an engine, you need to take a systems approach to building the engine. that means pulling the short block apart and checking the condition of the crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings, etc. it wont do any good to put all the go fast goodies on the short block, if the short block comes apart three months down the road.

so start with the short block, and make sure it is in good overall condition and can handle the new found power.

next i would sell the headers you have and go with something more streetable. you dont need a 1 3/4" primary tube with the heads and intake and cam you have, a 1 1/2-1 5/8 tube will do nicely thank you.

throwing together a bunch of mismatched parts is a sure way to build an engine that you will be disappointed in. the 750 carb is also too big for your combination, but unlike the headers will work as long as it is a vacuum secondary carb. you will use more fuel than with a proper 600cfm carb though.

its all small block ford stuff, so it will bolt onto the block. when building an engine, you need to take a systems approach to building the engine. that means pulling the short block apart and checking the condition of the crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings, etc. it wont do any good to put all the go fast goodies on the short block, if the short block comes apart three months down the road.

so start with the short block, and make sure it is in good overall condition and can handle the new found power.

next i would sell the headers you have and go with something more streetable. you dont need a 1 3/4" primary tube with the heads and intake and cam you have, a 1 1/2-1 5/8 tube will do nicely thank you.

throwing together a bunch of mismatched parts is a sure way to build an engine that you will be disappointed in. the 750 carb is also too big for your combination, but unlike the headers will work as long as it is a vacuum secondary carb. you will use more fuel than with a proper 600cfm carb though.

Thanks sir for the reply. I'm glad I didn't actually pick those headers up yet. My buddy had them for a great price. You think I should just sell my carb then? I was definately gonna get the block checked first. I'm trying to figure out if I should retrofit the block if it's good or just get a flat tappet cam set up. I need to take it slow and talk to some people so I don't make the mistake of just throwing parts together like you were mentioning!!

the 750, again as long as it is a vacuum secondary, wont be an issue at this point if you already have it. if not then get a 600cfm carb instead. retrofitting the block for roller lifters is easy enough, just get a set of link bar roller lifters and use them with an appropriate roller cam.

Also, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to plan for a torque converter and rear gears to match the cam. Nothing more upsetting, than having a great running engine, that is now slower than it was!