How to tell if trac-loc needs to be serviced??

Maxamil

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2001
Fresno, Cali
I have a Ford Trac-lok rearend in my 8". Now that its raining I can tell what tire is sliping more than the other. When i do straight burnouts both tires spin. But when I make a right hand turn only the passenger side tire smokes. But when I turn to the left both of my tires smoke and it becomes really hard to control my slide like one tire is rotating faster than the other. Also when I try to do donuts i can barely do them when i turn to the right. When i do donuts to the left my car does donuts perfectly. Do i need to get my differential serviced???

Also I want to start getting into drifting and I was wondering what rearend they use in their cars.

• Sponsors (?)

It probably does that from the torque produced by the gearbox. When you floor it, both wheels are getting the power, and the driveshaft is spinning as hard as it can clockwise (when viewed from the rear of the vehicle), and so pushes down on the driver's side tyre, giving it more traction than the other side.

When you turn, the weight being forced to the outside wheel, as well as the fact that the outside wheel has to travel further give the outer wheel (driver's side turning right, and passenger side turning left) more tractive ability.

Now, when you turn left, the torque from the DS cancels out the weight shift and the extra distance travelled, giving both tyres approximately the same amount of grip, making them both spin.

When you turn right, the tractive forces (DS torque, weight shift, and extra distance travelled) combine to make one tyre have significantly more tractive ability than the other. The inner tyre will spin faster, and match the speed of the grippier outside tyre, and with less distance to travel, make it skid.

There is a tool at ford that bolts on in place of the wheel that allows you to center a torque wrench over the axle shaft (you should be able to come up with an idea for doing this). I think the spec is something like it has to take at least 40 # of torque to break the wheel free with the other wheel locked up such as on the ground so it can't turn.

Is there a streetable locker out there that allows the tires to turn at the same rate of speed weither I am making a right or left turn? I know what i am asking for is a spool but i need one that rachets too becuase this car is my everyday driver.