Howdy strangers (plus an update)

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
Hey guys and gals, been AFK for several months and the old Stang has been in mothballs for about a year, due to overwhelming issues of real life/family/work/etc.

But now that 2007 is behind us I've made some new-years resolutions! Nope, not the loose some weight that most people have in January, I lost 42 pounds last summer and kept it off even through the holidays...wooot!

Seriously (and so I don't get censored for being off topic) the old Stang is actually not even in my garage anymore. I'm having a buddy of mine who runs a HVAC company (this is his slow time of the year) help me out with the wiring that I allowed to psych me out. I was at his shop much of the weekend helping out and I can say the wiring is all done except the turn signals aren't working and I am missing two wires for the horn that we'll have to locate, plus the neutral-safety switch from the AOD has four wires but Painless can only connect to three of them. Other than that the wiring that ate my brain and my motivation is pretty much behind me.

Once that is done I'll install the new radiator. The one I had used a passenger-side top hose that really interfered with the Powermaster alternator which rides high due to the March pulley system I used to bypass my electric water pump. The new one has both hoses on the driver's side, which is fine for a double-pass design.

Next component will be my shorty headers...sniffff...the long-tubes have to go...sniff. I have gone on record here in the past saying that the Headmann 351W swap headers clear an AOD. Maybe you'll recall this pic...

randpsmall1.jpg

Well, my exhaust man did not agree. Actually what he said was that he can make them work but it would look like crap and be scraped off at the first speed-bump I came to. Anyhow the shorties will be here tomorrow, so if anyone wants a set of ceramic coated LTHs let me know :D

I am hoping to get her back home in a week or two, which makes a Spring date for her coming out party very achievable. I'm excited, and excited to be excited after so long of not wanting to think about that headache in the garage. Stay tuned, I should be able to post a video of her first ignition soon.

Attachments

• randpsmall1.jpg
    randpsmall1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

Congrats, I wish I could get half of my projects moving again. I am the point where I may just get rid of one or two just to get moving on my 66 coupe again. Please post the vid, would love to see it.

Oh yeah, will the LTHs fit a 66?

Oh yeah, will the LTHs fit a 66?
They are listed as 351W swap headers for 64-73...
http://www.hedman.com/pages/elite/elitepass-ford.html#MUST

But knowing how tight the shock towers are for a 351W in a 65-66 I'm not confident enough to tell you yes. Remember, in my case it was not the 351W that made them not fit right, it was the AOD, more specifically the cross member from Windsor-Fox that the headers clear (collectors well in front of) but the primary tubes would be too convoluted and low-hanging in 2.5 inch pipes.

So on a 302 they might fit better (total assumption there) but also might hang even lower (shorter deck height). Top that with the fact that I'm running a 3" pipe from the collector to the "X" and then 2.5" the rest of the way. I'm running a '95 T5 with a crossmember I fabbed for extra exhaust clearance. Shoot me a PM on a price, may we could work something out or I just HAVE to go with a 393 stroker....oh the humanity ;)

I'm picking it up Saturday...WOOOHOOO!

As mentioned I've pulled the long tubes, got a set of JBA shorties on there. The flange for the driver's side was not drilled correctly and had to be modified. That was very suprising to me. I've never purchased a JBA product before but I lusted after his GT500 back in 1984 and his products have always has a good rep as far as I could tell. The exhaust bolt spacing has not changed since the Y-block went away, that was what, 50 years ago? Amazing that could slip past QA, and I'm wondering how many were allowed to leave.

So I'm gonna have it towed to the exhaust guy on the way home. Then it's back to work for me. it really feels good to think well of her again instead of being filled with dread.
:D

How cool. I am entering the "exhaust shop" stage right now and should be able to get her purring by Valentines day. I love her ya know. :rlaugh:

I will post some pics soon, if I can find the original pics of what the car looked like when I got it.

Cool for you! Thanks for all your input on mine!