Humdinger pickle pies!

SiahNyde

Dec 3, 2010
Oregon
So, I'm considering just intsalling a reinhart racing AC delete on my 1999 GT.
if I were to do this, is it reasonable to consider recharging my ac later or is it that once I install the delete, it's pretty much toast?
my ac and defrost dont work right now...so I'm just looking to repair the noise issue i have...
I appreciate the help!

• Sponsors (?)

That answer would depend upon how much of the AC system was removed and how it was "protected". Best case, a new receiver/dryer would be needed.

Question. Can you give us more details on the original problem? For example, does the AC make noise all of the time or just when it is on?

If the AC makes noise all of the time, the problem is most likely with the AC Clutch. The bearing supporting the clutch frequently go bad. The result is a constant sound much like ringing a bell.

The clutch can be replaced without discharging the system. If a Ford original clutch is used, then it won't be needed to remove the field coil thus making the job easier.

thanks for the reply man!

so the deal is that I put the 8-rib conversion on and haven't been able to get it working right. The terrible noise only happens when the car has been run for enough time to warm up and even then only in the 1200-1400 rpm range?

-If I do try to run the Air conditioner, it smells like burned metal and it pulls the rpms down and sometimes kills the car.

I'd really like to avoid using the ac delete because I dont want to have to pay out the ass to replace the system later, but the sound makes me want to club baby seals! :shrug:

So did you ever correctly set the clutch air gap? The Ford service manual calls for 0.014-0.030". Add or remove shims to get the correct air gap.

Take the clutch apart (easy) and inspect the clutch friction surfaces? Any evidence of heat damage? Any issues when installing the 8 rib kit?

Have you verified that the AC clutch bearings are OK without excessive play? If you take the belt off on grap the outside of the pulley, can you move it up/down or in/out? When the pulley turns do you see alot of run out?

If the AC clutch bearings are bad, no amount of shimming will ever make it right. However, if the clutch is ok, you should be able to disconnect the electrical connector thereby preventing the AC from being engaged.

From your description, it sounds like the AC compressor is over loading the motor. Are you sure that the correct Freon charge was added?