Hurst Short Throw Shifter

Mike06_10pm

Mar 30, 2005
I have my shifter for my 05 GT, its supposed to be 50 this sat. so i want to install it.

has anyone done it before and hows the instal..

can i have some tips and what im really going to need to due and if im going to have to get under the car or can i be inside it and work throught the boot?

i have ramps if i need them, but anyone who has done it help me out!
thanks
-mike

• Sponsors (?)

Here is an article on installing a short throw shifter...I know it is not in an S197 but it might help:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/138_0408_shifter_install/index.html
Also, when you install it be sure to tighten all the linkages real well. I have heard that there are some vibration/rattling problems with that particular shifter. Not a big problem, just make sure it is all tight so you don't have to go back in and tighen them later.

You will need help

You will need a buddy to help you with this, if you don't, it will make your life much harder. You will need to get the car up in the air...ramps are fine, that's all I had to use at the time when I installed mine, but if you have jack stands, it will make getting under the car and moving around much easier. There really is not much to it. This was my very first mod to my car that I did in my driveway. It took me about an hour. You will need a socket set with an extension. Just follow the directions (mine came with pictures) and it is pretty self-explanatory.

Good luck! :nice:

Fast05 said:
You will need a buddy to help you with this, if you don't, it will make your life much harder. You will need to get the car up in the air...ramps are fine, that's all I had to use at the time when I installed mine, but if you have jack stands, it will make getting under the car and moving around much easier. There really is not much to it. This was my very first mod to my car that I did in my driveway. It took me about an hour. You will need a socket set with an extension. Just follow the directions (mine came with pictures) and it is pretty self-explanatory.

Good luck! :nice:

cool thanks.. looks like ill be doing this tomorrow!

i got the instruction booklet also, just wondering if there was anything not listed there for me to know before i started tearin the car up

thanks guys!
-mike

I would have a little thread lock for the shift linkage nut, if it came off it would leave you stranded. Also, you may want to do a thread search for a rattle from hurst shifter. I did not have any problems with mine but I read a thread here on stangnet where some guys had a noise problem with theirs. I seem to remember there was an easy fix while the shifter was outside the car. Good luck! I love mine, looks great and it's notchy as hell- just like mustang shifter should be!

Mike06_10pm said:
I have my shifter for my 05 GT, its supposed to be 50 this sat. so i want to install it.

has anyone done it before and hows the instal..

can i have some tips and what im really going to need to due and if im going to have to get under the car or can i be inside it and work throught the boot?

i have ramps if i need them, but anyone who has done it help me out!
thanks
-mike

The higher you can get this up on jack stands the better. While it's only a couple of nuts and bolts (4, as I recall), it's very tight quarters with the damn drive shaft in the way. I had the luxury of using my next door neigbors shorty lift, and had the whole car a solid 2 ft off the ground.

That being said, here are some things to consider. First, remove the console cover. There are two screws, and then it just pops right off. It's a little more room but it goes a long way. Next, the rubber shift boot underneath the leather dust boot is a pain to get off and on. This was MY biggest issue. Next, the stock shifter needs to come out of the hole and the new one back in the hole due to the drive shaft being there. This sounds weird but rotating it about 120 degrees and pulling it out from the long end actually work (and the reverse to get it back in).

Oh, and I think that a 10mm deep well socket will go a LONG way!

Good luck, and post pics when you're done...
attachment.php

John

bigcat said:
i was thinkin about the t-handle. do you have another shot of it? from the looks of this pic, i am not sold on the t-handle. i like the white ball the best so far.

That's really the only shot to date, and it was immediately after the install (that's why all the dust). Since then, I've rotated the handle clock wise a bit to more naturally accomodate the palm of my hand. I had a Hurst t-handle in my Roadrunner, and felt nostalgic for it...by the way, my 19 year old son, a mechanic, LOVES the t-handle...

jwgroovin said:
That's really the only shot to date, and it was immediately after the install (that's why all the dust). Since then, I've rotated the handle clock wise a bit to more naturally accomodate the palm of my hand. I had a Hurst t-handle in my Roadrunner, and felt nostalgic for it...by the way, my 19 year old son, a mechanic, LOVES the t-handle...
i think the "T" would be more functional as far as grip, but the white ball is more appealing visually

bigcat said:
i think the "T" would be more functional as far as grip, but the white ball is more appealing visually

I have both and have gone back to the ball. Having driven a friends 67mustang with the T, I figured this was the way to go, but I did not like the angle my wrist was at with the T.
Here is a pic (if it posts) with the T

Attachments

• hurst_t_small.jpg
    hurst_t_small.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 123
cstunkard said:
I have both and have gone back to the ball. Having driven a friends 67mustang with the T, I figured this was the way to go, but I did not like the angle my wrist was at with the T.
Here is a pic (if it posts) with the T
is there anyway to adjust the handle for a more comfortable fit? like rotating it clockwise or something? i have never had a t handle before, so i dont know :shrug:

bigcat said:
is there anyway to adjust the handle for a more comfortable fit? like rotating it clockwise or something? i have never had a t handle before, so i dont know :shrug:

Sure, you can rotate it and that's what I did. Looking down from above, the left side is roughly at 10:00-11:00 o'clock, and the right side points down at 4:00-5:00 o'clock. It took some tweaking a bit so it would fit nice in the palm of my hand. It was dry and 55 yesterday, here in Maryland, and I just had a ball running through the gears. Felt fine for me.

John

Glad your T handel fits well. I tried mine everyway I could get it and it just didnt fit well.

On the rattle thing, I notice mine makes a bit of a noise at hi revs, but I am not sure if it is the shifter or something else. Could be the tranny or even the exhaust and it just sounds like it is from the shifter.