I Am Committing to Retrofit

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay guys I am getting my money together to get some of these "christmas presents" for the car. Now I am committing to some vertical link bar lifters for the hydraulic roller retrofit into a 1974 351 Windsor. I just want to confirm from the experts that these will work with a standard base circle cam before I spend $420(I just don't understand how them being vertically linked doesn't require taller lifter bores, if possible I would like someone to explain it to me), if not I would rather do spider and dog bones assembly. I am also calling summit racing to get help from their tech line, but want to be safe and check with you guys too. Here is a link to the part: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=FMS-M-6500-S58&FROM=MG

• Sponsors (?)

I think the reason they don't need taller lifter bores is because you MUST use custom pushrods(shorter). They are probably available for these roller lifters but it is worth checking into the price.

looks like the right lifters to me. You'll have to remove the heads to install them, other than that they should drop in. There is a chance you'll have to some slight clearancing on the block, but you probably won't unless you have some excessive casting flash.

Say goodbye to wiped lobes.

1: be absolutely sure that those are truely link bar and not dog bone lifters.

2: if those lifters are shorter than stock, then you can use a standard base circle cam. if however they are the same length as stock, then you need a smaller base circle cam as the lifter bores are not tall enough to prevent the oiling groove from poping out of the bore and the engine losing oil pressure.

I posted about those many times steel, they won't work because they are just regular roller lifters. After I called summit and crower to understand what was going on, but crower was right there was a problem in their book, and summit went and changed the description. If you look at the link section on it, it is changed to no link instead of vertical link. The picture is a chevy lifter. Bugs me that they have that picture on it.