I bet u don't know....

2002mggt

Apr 12, 2005
I have this noise and I don't know where it's coming from or what it is. I got 4.10's installed over a month ago and the noise just recently started. It almost sounds like brakes rubbing but when the brake pedal is depressed the noise stays the same. I know it has nothing to do with the engine because I hear the same noise with the car rolling and the engine off. Also the noise doesn't happen untill the car warms up a bit. It also does not happen in reverse, and there is no noise present at idle. driveshaft ???? Brakes ??? Anything ???? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

2002mggt said:
I have this noise and I don't know where it's coming from or what it is. I got 4.10's installed over a month ago and the noise just recently started. It almost sounds like brakes rubbing but when the brake pedal is depressed the noise stays the same. I know it has nothing to do with the engine because I hear the same noise with the car rolling and the engine off. Also the noise doesn't happen untill the car warms up a bit. It also does not happen in reverse, and there is no noise present at idle. driveshaft ???? Brakes ??? Anything ???? :shrug:
Is it whining? I would suspect the gears. Its common, u just have to open the rear again & adjust them. Its pretty rare to get them installed without ever experiencing gear-whine...or thats been my experience anyways. Your local gumby performance-shop mechanics don't take alot of time to get them right...just close enough.

I'm not sure if it's "whining" I don't know what gear whine sounds like. Also the noise just started and I've had the gears for over a month. Wouldn't the noise have been right away if it was the install ? Is there anything other than the gears that it could be?

Gears would be my guess. And yes the wining doesn't always start right after the gear install. What brand gears did you get? I've heard that everything exept the ford gears will wine.

Other things to check
- check to make sure the wheels are on tight
- E-brake cable (maybe jammed or seized)

GOOD LUCK

Is it more of a squeek or a whine? If it's a whine, gears, if it's a squeek, maybe it's the "indicator" telling you it's time to replace the brake pads. I remember on one of my old cars when they mounted the new wheels it set off the "indicator" and my brakes were brand new.