i cant bleed these brakes for the life of me! Non mustang help please!!

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I don't know where else to ask because i am at wits end with this truck and hope its OK to ask here. I've been fixing the brakes on my dads 2001 dodge ram. It was a complete mess, the hose on the passenger side rear caliper broke and there are no replacements available except spending $350 at the dealership for a hose(crazy I know) so he just crimped off the hard line and drove it on 1 rear brake for a while. In the last week brake fluid started pouring out of the drivers side rear brake and i put it up on jackstands and started to fix the whole mess. I got new discs, calipers, and used a hose off a different truck that was almost identical. ive bled brakes atleast 20 times in the past, and for some reason I just cant get a firm pedal pressure on this truck! Normally its rock solid. I started at the wheel furthest from the m/c and worked my way to the wheel closer to it. For some reason I just can't get the air out of the rear brakes now matter how many times we try. I tried loosening up the fitting right by the m/c to try and bleed it even, but that didnt change anything. Where can i start looking to finally fix this thing?

• Sponsors (?)

A handheld vacuum pump applied to each bleeder screw, in lieu of a helper pumping the pedal, has become my favorite, nearly fool-proof method for bleeding brakes (which I do often on my track car). Look for a Mity-Vac at the parts store of your choice and follow the directions that come with the kit - it'll flush out whatever bubble is causing your trouble. I'm assuming, of course, that you've already covered the basics (i.e., no leaks :))

Do you have the rear drums adjusted properly, too much play between the shoe and drum will cause to much movement of the cylinder.

Do you have some open areas to that you can drive around to give the brakes some testing? And then you could try to bleed them agian. I have had the pedal feel soft but after using them it firms up.

first with the new calipers and replacement hose, you have lots of air to get out of the system. second i believe that the truck has anti lock brakes in the rear at least, and that requires a different bleeding procedure than non abs systems do. you need to pressure bleed the system to force the fluid through the system, and pumping up the brake pedal isnt pressure bleeding.

well there are left and right side calipers which i learned the hard way. I had them switched around so the bleeders were on the bottoms of the calipers instead of the top. Switched them, bled them, and now the brakes are like new. Just remember BLEEDERS ON TOP and will save you a lot of headaches and brake fluid