I cant figure out my problem

Jimbo_53563

Jun 21, 2003
Milton, WI
Hey guys im having a problem with my car.

About a month ago I had my 4:10s installed, and for a while it ran awesome. and all of a sudden the car lost power. Whenever I get on the gas and the rpms seem to not wanna go (once it gets to around 2000 and up it just takes a crap), and the car will shake and shudder under WOT. It does it a little when under normal acceleration. It just feels like I put the stock gears back in (Wont even chirp the tires off the line). I repplaced the plugs, and checked the wires, cap and rotor. Everthing looked good but still no fix.

Could this be gear related or fuel related? Im asking this because the gears whine a little. Im getting a little upset with the car (my whole family tells me I should sell it. I love driving it and would love to keep it for a long time)

Any info would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

are you having blowby maybe you dogged the hell out of it after the gear install and then ruined your rings. i heard about some gear companies that make gears that don't run quietly. check you air and fuel filter if you haven't already, that should be the first thing on the list to check when a problem like this happens.

I had an '88 that had a similar loss in power like you talk about, but mine was actually the Headers unbolting....you havent recently installed headers have you? Mine had loosened to the point of nearly every bolt being finger tight, and the car just ran like garbage and had no balls after about 2500rpm. Other than that, i had a similar problem when my 'stupid' @ss forgot to plug a spark plug back on after tightening a header bolt....smoke and 4 banger type power was the result.

Either way, dont give up man....just keep on truckin.

Owning a Mustang = Working on a Mustang

here a quick update on whats been done so far
-new plugs (Bosch platinum +2)
-new plug wires (motor craft)
-checked dist cap and rotor and cleaned of the tips
-new fuel filter

it smoothed out a little, and it misses at higher rpms a little (seems to start around 4k, Also it has no balls. I set the timing back to 10 and checked for codes (got nothing),

Im getting confused on whats wrong. anybody have suggestions on what to try

And Happy Easter everybody

Jimbo

I wouldnt be surprised if your miss at higher RPM is from those plugs....platinum plugs blow, so i'm sorry you paid what you paid for them. I'd go out and buy some stock replacements or some Autolites. Have you done a compression test yet? Your motor may have just seen better days and has given up the good fight...

I wouldnt use those plugs. Ive seen nothing but problems with platinums, mostly on forced induction though. Also try to clean the maf had a car down 40 rwhp from a dirty maf. It was extremely dirty though it had been in a body shop for quite a while

Hey all thanks for all the info

Let me answer some of your questions. for exhaust I have O/R,H pipe with no cats (dont know the brand), Delta Flow Series 10 Mufflers, BBK non-fenderwall cold air intake.

Im gonna cut my losses and buy the motorcraft plugs and put them in next weekend (I just kicked myself for not buying them to begin with because the motor is stock).

I also have a couple of friends in school at blackhawk tech to become mechanincs and they got permission to hook up my car to their expensive diagnotic machine and help find out whats wrong.

I wont have anyinfo until next weekend, but when I get it done. I'll let you guys know what the problem was.

Jimbo

Jimbo_53563 said:
Hey all thanks for all the info

Let me answer some of your questions. for exhaust I have O/R,H pipe with no cats (dont know the brand), Delta Flow Series 10 Mufflers, BBK non-fenderwall cold air intake.

Im gonna cut my losses and buy the motorcraft plugs and put them in next weekend (I just kicked myself for not buying them to begin with because the motor is stock).

I also have a couple of friends in school at blackhawk tech to become mechanincs and they got permission to hook up my car to their expensive diagnotic machine and help find out whats wrong.

I wont have anyinfo until next weekend, but when I get it done. I'll let you guys know what the problem was.

Jimbo

LOL dont feel bad about those plugs, i too am a recovering victom of the Platinums...the whole idea seems so good, but you just cant beat plain old copper when it comes to conducting, untill someone comes up with a Gold plug....but it'd be like 100 bucks each.