I finally took the car to the track! DUW

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I finally took the car to the track.... for an SCCA event!!! Some may remember that I took my wife's Toyota Mr2 Spyder last year and had a blast with it at an SCCA soloII event. I've been wanting to try it with my car ever since. Well, today was the day. I went up with Troy (yeahloh95), he took his SVO. I didn't want to cut up my nitto tires, so I mounted up the old tri-bars with some beat old tires I had lying around. On the first run I had my buddy Steve ride with me as he regularly competes and places with his fox body LX. About 1/2 way through the run he says to me "man this thing has a lot of #&@*%$+ torque" and that about sums up my day. Way too little tire, way too much torque, and me the driver who had very little restraint with the throttle. As soon as I'd touch the gas my SCCA event quickly turned to a drifting competition! LOL! I had one hell of a time and I managed to get quicker and quicker as the day went on. I was always one second behind Troy though. He would run a 74, and I'd run a 75... the next run I'd run a 74, and he'd run a 73. That was the progression of the day. In the end, my best lap time was a 72.XX. With my engine and suspension mods I had to run CP which is like the top dog class for those that don't know. My drag oriented suspension did better than I had expected, but the tires were my definite downfall. I was a good 10 seconds off the other guys in my class.

My dad and I fab'd up an in car camera mount so I have all but my first run on video. When I get a chance to upload it I'll post it up if you guys want to check it out. My wife came and was able to snap a few pics. The next time I go I plan to run with my nitto's on to help with the traction issues. Well, here are some pics: (man are tri-bars UGLY on my car).

194125.jpg

194126.jpg

194127.jpg

194130.jpg

194131.jpg

194132.jpg

194133.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

very nice One day I hope to take my car to one of those event and see how I rank.

Tri bar's Arent' that bad there good for a track tire if you have hood tires on them.
Troys SVO looks good but is that a stock gt brake caliper on the front?

Paul I can't beleive they let you run with the top down... I tried SOLO once when I was still into trucks... They made me take so many precautions because they thought the truck would flip over... well similar to you it turned into a smoke show on the corners but we all had fun and I did better than my buddy did in his basically stock (at the time) AODE mustang...

very nice One day I hope to take my car to one of those event and see how I rank.

Tri bar's Arent' that bad there good for a track tire if you have hood tires on them.
Troys SVO looks good but is that a stock gt brake caliper on the front?

I'm going to strip and powdercoat the wheels black with a polished lip which I think will help their "look." I highly suggest you check it out, it is an absolute blast. Troy's SVO has the stock brakes on it with slotted rotors.

94-302-vert- I too was surprised that they let me have the top down. I do feel that some of their rules are weird, like the fact that you can't have ANYTHING in the car including the trunk, yet I can race in shorts. I sweated my butt of yesterday because I thought it would be like drag racing where long pants are required.

94-302-vert- I too was surprised that they let me have the top down. I do feel that some of their rules are weird, like the fact that you can't have ANYTHING in the car including the trunk, yet I can race in shorts. I sweated my butt of yesterday because I thought it would be like drag racing where long pants are required.

I hear ya. I had to pull my speaker box from under the back seat (CC truck) beacause it was only strapped down, not bolted....

Looks like fun Paul & Troy. I remember the time you said you had in your wifes car, so its cool you got the stang out there too! Also cool you got your wife to go with you. Is she into the SCCA stuff at all.

I HAVE A STCOK TURBO WITH AN UPGRADED INTERCOOLER AND 3" EXHAUST WITH 2-1/2 TAILS. THE CAR JUST RAN 14.6 THE OTHER NIGHT AND RAN A 70.2 SECOND LAP ON SUNDAY AGAINST PAUL . OR DID YOU MEAN PAULS COMBO:rlaugh:

SCCA stuff is a blast. I've done it a few times in my car and has a lot of fun. My car is also set up with all drag suspension and with all my engine mods I have to run the top classes. A lot of the time they let me run the beginner class. :bananna:

The best part of my day was when I fired my car up for the first time and everyone at the entire event stopped and looked at my car like WTF is that!! :rlaugh:

congrats on a fun day of racing!! :nice:

Looks like fun Paul & Troy. I remember the time you said you had in your wifes car, so its cool you got the stang out there too! Also cool you got your wife to go with you. Is she into the SCCA stuff at all.

My wife is not into anything that deals with cars. LOL! Honestly, she likes her car because its "cute" but that's about as into cars as she gets. She showed up as I was making my 1st pass, and left as soon as I made my last one. I thought she'd like it more than drag racing but she doesn't. I really want her to bring her Mr2 to the next event so if nothing else she can become a better driver. As of right now, I'll be taking my car, my wife will have her Mr2, and my dad will be racing my mom's Bullitt.

Thanks everyone! I'll get the video up tonight.

Sweet... gotta love mowing down cones. And yes, their "rules" are weird. I got put in the "big shot class" because I made the mistake and mentioned I changed the injectors to 24lbers. I tried to back peddle that comment with a "their stock for a cobra". But it didn't fly. LOL

And they made me take my bottle out of the car. Sure it wouldn't have helped much, but there were a couple of straight aways on the course that day. Plus I had hoped to use it to drift this big arse sweeping 180* corner. :D

Can't wait to see the vids. :nice:

Sorry guys, I was working on the car all night taking the tri-bars off and doing some other things and never got around to getting the video up. I'll try and do it tonight when I get home from work.

Paul- a buddy of mine got put into another class because he told them he had his bottom end balanced when he had the completely stock engine rebuilt! I'm sorry, but I can't see that being much of an advantage. I've shown to myself that overall power doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot on the autoX course. Lightweight, big tires, a dialed in suspension, good brakes, and a GREAT driver will make up for a TON of horse power. As you'll see in one of the videos, I didn't need nitrous to sweep this heavy ass out! LOL! The sheer amount of lack of traction that I had was downright funny. After watching the videos it doesn't appear as bad as I've made it out to be, but Troy can attest to everytime my foot hit the go pedal anywhere on the coarse, the back tires were howling! I need to find a way to cut down on the wind noise as it was so loud that you can barely hear the car or the sqealing tires. I'm going to try to find some microphone foam to place over the mic on the camera to see if that cuts down on the wind buffeting.

Check his website out. He has it all broken down.

Dart 347, AFR 165, Custom Cam, Systemax, 24lb injectors at 82% max duty cycle, etc...:D

Looks like a fun event:nice:

Just a heads up... I've never said it was a 347, in fact I've kept the displacement and compression ratio to myself and have never posted either on the net. I have posted absolutely everything else about the combo though right down to which bearings and rings were used. I want to see how it performs first, get the bugs worked out, and I want to make sure I don't want to change the direction of the car before I post it up. I can say that for as good as its been performing so far, the direction I had planned may very well be changing now. I should have some hard numbers for the car within the next month or so. Its running way better than I had expected it to with the parts I have, and most of these were only used as a temporary fix so I could get the car running. The heads, cam, injectors, TB, headers and the rest of the exhaust are all going to be replaced as I only used them on this engine because I was running out of money and I wanted to get the car back on the road this year. Someday I hope to put all of my "old" stock 302 stuff into my '90GT that I've had sitting in the garage for nearly 4 years now.

Better be 363.5 CI with a Dart block. That's all I'm saying.

I bet with 165s on it, that much velocity from the heads plus 4.10s and the big stroke would have you blowing off the tires like crazy.

Adam

The pistons do look on the larger side, but I can not tell the difference of .095" at that angle:) He will let us know when the time comes...:nice: