I got my turbo engine!

The title pretty much explains it, and the details are in my sig, but I got it. 88 Merkur 2.3. I've got some work cut out for me, but I really don't care, its stuff I was gonna do anyway. Currently I need to get an engine stand, everything else has been stripped off the main block except head, valve cover, water pump, distributor, oil filter and oil pan. I do have a few questions though.

First, everyone says you need the computer from a Thunderbird TC, but both that computer and the one in my car are the EEC-IV system, or is that where the LA3 bit comes in?

Also, some of the various coolant places-where-the-hose-connects-to things are fairly rusted, so I'm thinking I may have to replace those. I was planning on a complete rebuild anyway so I can't say I'm dissapointed. My main concern is screwing something up, though with the proper tools, I really don't think it's that difficult.

Thirdly, I am considering going to 2.5 Liter by stroking the engine. What year model could I find that (engine) from, or would it be cheaper to just buy the crank and rods separately? Furthermore, where can I find more information on stroking the 2.3 to begin with?

Lastly, I know I saw somewhere around here links or descriptions on how to rebuild a turbo, which I may have to do, or at least dissamble it to clean it. Before you write it off as being unneccasary, you should know that a mouse apparently made its home in the intake side, and I prefer to not have mouse turds making contact with the turbine blade, nor do I want them sucked into my engine. Is that info on the sticky threads?

That's pretty much it for now. I'll get to asking about replacement lines when I get to it.

>edit< It killed my formatting. >edit<

• Sponsors (?)

All these computer systems are EEC-IV, the LA3 is just one of the family.

Replace what's rusted with new stuff, shouldn't be too hard. You do have a Chilton's or Haynes manual, right?

Stroking is pretty close to unnecessary unless you like spending money on things....you can make massive power with 2.3 liters. Were I you, I'd put the money toward the normal turbo-car stuff and leave the stroking until it'll actually benefit you.

Mouse turds, lol....can't help ya there, I don't know much about turbos themselves as yet.

Ash

SpectralSamurai said:
I really don't think it's that difficult.

With an attitude like that you will be running 12's before you know it :nice:

As for the stroker kit I would save that for when you've done everything else and want an extra tenth on your 1/4 ets :) There are guys off TF and here( like Stinger) I'm sure that is making 250-350hp with mostly bolt on items. One guy I heard had 333rwhp with stuff like : ported head, ported intakes, A237 cam, 3"exhaust, K&N cone, gillis vavle, and a few other bolt on ideas.

toadstang said:
It all sounded great and everything until I read the mouse turd part, and now I just cant stop laughing.

Yeah, I didn't see that when I checked the engine. I got it home and decided it was time to take it apart to get it restored, grab the rubber intake portion, and dried mouse turds spill onto my hands. Pleasant experience it was. I later discovered some on the lower intake in much the same manner.

Pro-Hawk said:
With an attitude like that you will be running 12's before you know it :nice:

>edit for length, tuning stuff<

Yeah, I've been seeing that, and I know the 2.3 will churn out some nice numbers just on its own. My thought process was along the lines of "Hey, why don't we just do it now while the engine is out and apart anyway?" Of course, that's assuming I can even get ahold of parts to do it anyway. Although I think I'd rather just start with the basic 2.3 and build it up so I can experience what each change really does. I need to head over to TF and see what it takes to make ~400HP/415 ft/lbs tq. Also, I don't know if its just my "level" as a user, but the search forum option isn't what it used to be. It doesn't like searches that are more than two words and longer than appx. 12 letters. Given that, I'm going to browse the stickys for info about adjusting boost level, anyone else have some links to throw my way (and the way of other people reading this)?

Stinger said:
IMO if you have to ask what it takes to get 400hp then you probably shouldn't be trying just yet ;)

>shrug< Maybe, maybe not. I'm just wondering what can be done beyond porting the head, header, and turbo (where it meets the header), knife edge/port lower intake, gut/port upper intake, raising boost pressure, 3 inch exhaust, intercooler, and roller camshaft. Without going into repogramming the PCM, changing injectors, and messing with the turbo itself, what can be done to improve things?

Stinger said:
Well, considering the injectors, turbo, and computer all max out around 300hp...not much. Looks like you better add a fuel pump and K&N to the list though.

Stinger

Fuel pump I didn't think of, K&N was a given, didn't think to list it. I thought the 35# per hour injectors were the injectors of choice for higher HP mods (my engine came with those). So do I need a different aftermarket injector set or higher PPH injectors? On a related note, any recommendations on fuel pump?

As far as the computer goes, you can reprogram/modify the EEC-IV system, correct? What are the limitations on that? I forget the company name, but I know there's a group that sells complete aftermarket EFI management systems, but those are a little pricey ($1000-1400 for complete system, IIRC).

Many people mention the T3/T4 Hybrid that you make, but I can't find any reference to it on your website, or is that a per order basis? What kind of numbers will that support? What other turbos can be (effectively) used with this engine?

Walbro 255lph high pressure pump...

The 35's are the injectors of choice...doesn't mean they will support more than ~300rwhp though. No need to upgrade until you get around to maxing them out. You can't just throw bigger injectors in and expect the computer to know what to do about it (in other words, it will run rich). Of course by the time you max out the injectors it's time to get an aftermarket EFI system or an EEC Tuner (which I'm using).

I'm not selling turbos any more...well, I do from time to time but it's just because I get one on trade or find one for cheap and resell it. Bottom line is the T04E 50 Trim with a stage III .63 a/r exhaust side will support anywhere from 250-450rwhp. No need to look at any of the other hybrids unless you plan to make more power than that. Of course again, there is no need to look at hybrids until you start to max out your stock turbo (and injectors, and computer).

Stinger

Next question would be when should I get the fuel pump?

Understood on the injector and turbo bit, makes sense. I'm not really going to be looking into huge performance until I have a better base to stand on. Basically, the mods I originally listed are the ones that will more than likely get done. Those mods should probably put me where, about 250-280 HP, or is that being ambitious?

Maybe, depends on the tune...could be more, could be less.

The pump is the same as the 5.0 unit. Anything more than about 225rwhp or 20psi and you should probably start thinking about one.

Stinger

Hi, I'm brand new to this website. This is a great great website, and I'm going to buy a 91 LX 2.3l mustang tonight for like $1500. I test drove it the other night and it was nice, but I want it to sound better and make a little bit more HP. I was wondering if you could tell me where to go to find a turbo and dual exhaust.
Corey

You go to the top of the page and click on the search button...go to my site, etc. Then once you know all about exhaust and turbo swaps, come back and ask specific questions that haven't been covered on a weekly basis.

Stinger